Introducing Kimchi Noodle Soup!
Noodle soups are definitely one of my favorite dishes, it’s not only healthy and flavorful, but it also makes a complete meal. This kimchi soup is no exception, it has a rich and flavorful broth (think spicy, sweet, and rich), chewy noodles, tofu, mushrooms, and greens. The broth is flavored with kimchi, ginger, and garlic. It is so delicious you will ask for a second round!
Let’s make it clear now: this soup takes just 10 minutes of preparation and about 40 minutes of cooking. Plus it’s super easy!
First, we sautéed our aromatics: onion, garlic, and ginger. Next, we add kimchi (make sure to use vegan kimchi, as some may contain fish sauce), water, coconut sugar, soy sauce, and chili flakes for extra spiciness.
Then for the add-ins, I went with mushrooms, tofu for protein, and pak choy. This soup is versatile so feel free to use any greens you have on hand. I’m thinking vegan chick’n would also make a delicious addition.
Let the soup simmer for about 40 minutes and serve piping hot topped with fresh cilantro and green onions!
While Bun Bo Hue probably stays my top #1 noodle soup, this kimchi soup comes very close. It’s spicy just enough, a bit sweet, garlicky, rich, and on top of that, healthy!
Let me know in the comments if your try this recipe!
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup (about 100g) kimchi, roughly chopped
- 3 cups (700ml) of water
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (36g) coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Korean chili flakes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (75g) mixed mushrooms, diced
- 1 pak choy, cut in half (or your favorite greens)
- 1 block (250g) tofu, diced
- 3.5 ounces (100g) dry noodles (can use gluten-free noodles)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, green onions for topping
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, garlic, and ginger, and sautée for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the kimchi, water, soy sauce, coconut sugar, chili flakes, salt, diced mushrooms, pak choy (or other greens), and tofu. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer. Simmer covered for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and divide the noodles into two bowls. Pour in the kimchi soup with some tofu, mushrooms, and kimchi. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions, and serve hot! For extra flavor, feel free to add a squeeze of lime!
- This soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat gently over medium heat.