I have many curry recipes, but most of them are Indian-inspired.
This one-pot Vietnamese curry (or Cà ri) is loaded with veggies and infused with aromatics like ginger, lemongrass, garlic, and lime. It is super creamy, flavorful, healthy, and takes less than one hour to prepare!
Garlic, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger are first sautéed until fragrant. Then, to make this curry spicier, we stir in some satay (or chili) paste. You can usually find satay paste in Asian stores, online, or simply make your own.
Next, add tofu that will soak up the flavors of the aromatics.
For the vegetables, I went with broccoli, mushrooms, eggplants, as well as carrots and taro to make the curry heartier. If you can't find taro, feel free to use sweet potato, or another veggie, this curry is versatile!
Next, pour in coconut milk for creaminess, coconut sugar for sweetness, and spices for flavor. The spices used in this curry differ a bit from Indian masala, it consists of turmeric, coriander, chili, as well as anise, cinnamon, and cloves.
Finally, let simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the veggies are cooked. Top with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and enjoy with rice or noodles!
If you are looking for a hearty, cozy, and delicious one-pot meal, you are going to love this Vietnamese curry!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Vegan Vietnamese Curry
- 1 tablespoon oil use annatto oil for a deeper color
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 4-5 mushrooms quartered
- 1 medium carrot sliced into thick chunks
- 1 small eggplant diced into 1.5-inch cubes
- ½ medium taro root diced into 1.5-inch cubes
- 1 potato peeled and diced diced into 1.5-inch cubes
- 1 block fried tofu diced, optional
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 and ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 and ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 2 tablespoon Vietnamese curry powder
- optional: lime juice, fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic, shallot, lemongrass, and ginger. Sauté for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots, taro, eggplant, potatoes, and tofu if using, to the pot. Pour in the coconut milk, water, soy sauce, sugar, salt, and curry powder.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes uncovered. The vegetables should be fork tender. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve with rice, noodles, or crusty bread! Before serving, top with chopped cilantro, roasted peanuts (or cashews), and a squeeze of lime! Curry will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- This curry is quite versatile so feel free to use the vegetables you have on hand!
- You can substitute sweet white potatoes for the white potato.