Do you love cereals but have trouble finding healthy ones?
I have a solution for you, make your own! These buckwheat cereals are not only gluten-free and low in sugar, but also oil-free! And they stay crunchy for several minutes in milk!
Obviously, it’s not as easy as buying a box of cereals at the store but isn’t it fun to make your own?! Plus you know exactly what’s inside!
You don’t need any special ingredient for this recipe, just some buckwheat flour, a tiny amount of coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, water, and apple cider vinegar. Then for flavor, you can add vanilla extract and/or cinnamon, that’s up to you! May I suggest adding some cardamom and ginger as well for chai-spiced cereals?
I found 2 teaspoon of coconut sugar was perfect for my taste, feel free to adjust the sweetness to your liking, or simply omit it.
The batter comes together very quickly, just whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Next, spread it evenly into a thin layer and bake.
We first bake it for 12 minutes at 350°F, then break the dough into small flakes and bake for another 25 minutes at 250°F to make the cereals crunchy, you can check at http://lovetopivot.com how to do it. For a crunchier texture, you can sprinkle the batter with buckwheat crumbs, feel free to check out the notes at the end of the recipe to learn more.
One batch makes just about 1 cup of cereals so I usually double the recipe and use two baking sheets as these cereals are gone pretty quickly!
What’s great about this recipe is that it is super versatile, you can add spices, extracts, or even cacao nibs for more texture.
I love the nuttiness buckwheat flour gives to the cereals. You can enjoy these cereals as a snack, or add them to almond milk, coconut yogurt, or use as a topping for banana ice cream!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place a silpat on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Pour in the water, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the batter on the silpat and spread it evenly into a thin layer using a spatula. Try to spread it as evenly as possible and quite thin, you don’t want it to be paper thin though, it should have a 2-3 mm thickness.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Next, remove the baking sheet from the oven and lower the oven temperature to 250°F (125°C).
- Let cool a few minutes. Using your hands, break the dough into 1/2-inch flakes. The dough will be soft, this is normal. Spread the flakes evenly on the silpat and bake for another 25 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, slightly open the door and leave it in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy with yogurt, almond milk, or on top of banana ice cream!
For cinnamon cereals, add 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the batter.
For chocolate cereals, substitute 2 tbsp of buckwheat flour for cocoa powder.
For even crunchier cereals, mix 2 tablespoons of buckwheat flour with 2 tsp water. Mix until it looks like breadcrumbs, if needed add a bit more water. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on the batter after you have spread it on the silpat.
Recipe adapted from “Homemade Corn Flakes Cereals” from Always Order Dessert.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 126
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 4.6g