You guys are loving this Vegan Almond Milk Yogurt, but some of you had trouble getting your hands on the gums used to thicken it.
So I went back to the drawing board and created a brand new vegan yogurt that is thick (think greek-style), super creamy, gum-free, agar-free, coconut-free, and that requires just 4 ingredients! It's thick, rich, perfectly tangy, and so easy to make!
Now you may ask what’s different from my previous recipe?
- Fewer ingredients. Goodbye locust bean gum and agar, this recipe relies only on cashews, almonds, and some cornstarch. Basic ingredients you can find very easily.
- Creamier and thicker than ever. While my almond milk yogurt was already thick, this one has an even more pleasant texture and a richer mouthfeel.
- Mild yogurt flavor. I tweaked a bit more the amount of starter used, as well as the incubation time. Now it relies only on yogurt from a previous batch (or store-bought), much easier to find than vegan yogurt starter or probiotics.
- Three ways to make it. 1) With an Instant Pot. 2) With a Yogurt Maker. 3) In the oven. I’m giving directions for each method in the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CASHEW YOGURT?
To achieve a thick consistency without using gums, I relied on cashews that add a lot of body to the texture, almonds, and just a little bit of cornstarch. If you are worried this yogurt tastes like raw cashews, don't worry! The flavor is very subtle.
We start with soaked cashews and almonds that we blend with water to make a rich nut milk. Then, strain through a nut milk bag, this step is essential to achieve a silky smooth texture.
Once we have our milk, dissolve a tablespoon of cornstarch in a couple tablespoons of milk, then pour it back into the milk. Heat until it thickens, remove from heat, and transfer to a glass bowl.
Now you want to cover the thickened milk with plastic paper to touch to prevent a skin from appearing on top. Let it cool until it's not hot anymore before stirring in a teaspoon of non-dairy yogurt.
To ferment, you can use a yogurt maker or an Instant Pot. I went with the Instant Pot, set on Yogurt mode for 7 hours. Finally, refrigerate for a few hours before enjoying!
Not a fan of plain yogurt? Here are a few ideas to add more flavor to it! These are for one serving (add to already made yogurt).
- Strawberry Jam: Add a couple tablespoons of your favorite jam and stir.
- Mango: Make some mango purée in a blender, add a squeeze of lime or passion fruit juice and mix.
- Maple Coffee: Stir in about ⅛ teaspoon of coffee extract and maple syrup to taste.
- Vanilla: ⅛ teaspoon of vanilla extract is just enough to add a delicate flavor to your yogurt.
- Nutella: Stir in a tablespoon of hazelnut butter and a spoon of cacao powder and mix!
- Pumpkin Spice: Add 1 tablespoon of pumpkin purée, ⅛ teaspoon of pumpkin spice, and maple syrup to taste.
- Granola: I'm thinking vanilla, chocolate granola, or this Lime, Coconut & Macadamia Granola!
- Bars: Your favorite energy bars cut into chunks. Or these Chewiest Choco Chip Granila Bars, Nutella Filled Granola Bars, or even Protein Bars for extra protein!
- Nut Butters: Peanut butter, almond butter, or Vanilla Chocolate Spread!
- Chocolate Chips: It's just too good and adds crunchiness.
- Crushed Cookies: When I'm out of granola but have leftover cookies, you can be sure they will be crumbled on top of yogurt.
I hope you will love this vegan yogurt! It's delicious on it's own but also great to make sauces, dips, or use in baked goods!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Cashew & Almond Yogurt (Greek-Style!)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 and ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sugar or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon non-dairy yogurt
- Soak the cashews and almonds overnight. Drain and transfer to a high-speed blender. Add the water and blend on high for about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the cashew and almond milk to a nut milk bag and squeeze it over a large bowl to strain the milk. Try straining as much milk as possible. Discard the pulp or use in cookies, cakes, etc.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 3 tablespoon of the cashew/almond milk. Add it back to the milk.
- Transfer the cashew/almond milk to a medium sauce pan, add the sugar, and heat over medium heat. Whisk constantly until it comes to a boil and starts to thicken. As soon as it as thickened, remove from heat, pour into a small glass bowl and cover with plastic film to touch (to prevent a skin from forming on top). Let it cool for about 1 hour, or until it's at room temperature.
- Add the teaspoon of non-dairy yogurt and stir using a wooden spoon to mix with the milk. Cover again with plastic film to touch.
- If using an Instant Pot: Place 1 cup of water in the pot. Add the steam rack and place the bowl of yogurt on top. Close the lid and set on Yogurt mode for 7 hours for a mild yogurt.
- If using a Yogurt Maker: Divide the yogurt into small jars. Set the maker for 7 hours.
- If using an Oven: Turn on the oven and set it to the lowest temperature (mine is 50°C). Preheat for about 20 minutes. Next, turn it off but leave the light on. Place your bowl of yogurt in the oven and let it incubate for 7-8 hours with the light on.
- Once your yogurt is ready, refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until cold before enjoying. Yogurt will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.