Introducing your future secret ingredient for amazing stir fries!
This stir fry sauce is packed with umami with the perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness. It will add depth of flavor to most of your dishes. It’s perfect for noodle or vegetable stir-fries, but can also be used as a marinade for tofu, seitan, or tempeh. Let’s do it!
This recipe is inspired by Lee Kum Kee’s vegetarian stir fry sauce, which is an alternative to oyster sauce. It has the same thick consistency, which is amazing for coating noodles and vegetables.
HOW MAKE VEGAN OYSTER SAUCE
It just requires 5 ingredients and 10 minutes! Combine water, soy sauce, coconut sugar, salt, mushroom powder (check this post to learn how to make it), and cornstarch in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil and whisk regularly until it thickens. Remove from heat, let cool, and transfer to a clean jar. Done. It’s THAT easy!
Not only this sauce ends up being cheaper than store-bought, but it’s also healthier and naturally sweetened.
WHERE TO USE IT
- Noodles: this sauce beautifully coats noodles, giving them the perfect balance of sweetness and saltiness.
- Fried rice: For extra umami and a subtle sweetness.
- Vegetable stir-fry: Stir in a couple of tablespoons of the sauce once your veggies are cooked and stir to coat.
- Marinades: Combine with five-spice or sriracha for a delicious marinade! Perfect for tofu, tempeh, or seitan!
- Dipping Sauce: Dilute with some water, add a squeeze of lime, and minced garlic. Delicious with steamed veggies, sushi, or even summer rolls.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Vegan Oyster Sauce (Stir Fry Sauce)
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking regularly until the coconut sugar has dissolved. Bring to a simmer and a let it cook for one more minute, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Transfer to a clean jar and let it cool completely before storing in the refrigerator. The sauce will thicken more once chilled.
- To use, add 2-3 tablespoons of the sauce to your vegetable or noodle stir-fries. This sauce will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.