Sometimes you are craving something healthy, comforting, warming, and super delicious. This is exactly what this soup is about!
Inspired by a Vietnamese soup called “Nui”, this incredibly rich vegetable broth comes with macaroni, tofu, carrots, and sautéed mushrooms. It’s easy, versatile, and makes the perfect family dinner!
This recipe is so easy to make it almost doesn’t require any instructions. Plus it makes use of very basic ingredients, yet yields a super tasty soup!
We first sautée our aromatics in a pot: onion, garlic, and your favorite mushrooms. Next, pour in water and add the remaining vegetables. I went with a combination of white radish, carrot, and corn. The radish becomes super tender and absorb all the flavors of the broth, while the carrot and corn bring natural sweetness.
For extra protein, I added tofu. Since we add the tofu at the beginning of cooking, we don’t need any marinade, it will naturally soak up the broth, resulting in a soft and juicy texture. You could use vegan chick’n if you want a more meaty texture.
Then, let it simmer for about 1 and 1/2 hour to get a deep and rich broth. It may sound like a long time, but by cooking the broth that long, it really gets time to develop a deep flavor.
Cook your macaroni, divide into bowls, and pour in the piping hot broth over it. Garnish with fresh cilantro, a sprinkle of black pepper, and enjoy!
I hope you will love this family dish, it’s no only healthy and easy to prepare, but it also tastes amazing! Plus it is a bit sweet so kids should love it too!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 5 cups of water
- 1 medium white radish (daikon), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 ear of corn, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 2 blocks (250g) of tofu (fried tofu will be better), diced
- 1 and 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- optional: ground black pepper for topping
- 1 cup (100g) dry macaroni
- In a large saucepan or pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Sautée for 5-7 minutes, or until onions start to brown a bit.
- Next, pour in the water and add the sliced radish, carrot, corn, and tofu. Add the salt, sugar, and soy sauce. Cover and let it simmer for about 1 hour and a half. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Stir in the chopped cilantro and remove from heat.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot of water according to the package instructions.
- To serve, divide the cooked macaroni between 3 serving bowls and pour the piping hot broth over it. Add some of the radish, mushrooms, carrots, and tofu. Garnish with more fresh cilantro, and serve immediately!
- This soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator, I recommend cooking the noodles just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 45.7g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 13.2g