Soup season has officially started! It's getting colder, and there is no better way to warm you up than a rich and creamy vegan pumpkin soup!
You may ask what makes this recipe special? The crunchy and spicy croutons that literally take the soup to another level! After trying, you will never have soup without these croutons again!
🥣 How to Make Pumpkin Soup
The soup is easy and requires just 5 ingredients + a few spices.
First, it starts with the pumpkin, you want to use one medium sugar pumpkin for this recipe. Instead of boiling it, we will roast it until tender and caramelized for a deeper flavor.
Next, sauté onion and garlic in a saucepan until golden brown. I highly recommend caramelizing the onions for a natural sweetness. Season with salt, ground black pepper, and a good pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Tip: If you want to add a subtle citrusy and spicy flavor to the pumpkin soup, sauté about 1 teaspoon of grated ginger with the onions and garlic!
Once the pumpkin is perfectly tender, scoop out the flesh and add to the saucepan. Cover with water and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Finally, to add richness and make the soup super creamy, blend it with soaked cashews. It's the secret to get a silky smooth texture!
🍞 How to Make Spicy Croutons
Now comes the icing on the cake, the crispy croutons!
Cut a couple of slices of bread into cubes and coat them with melted butter, maple syrup, garlic, and chili flakes.
To add smokiness I went with a mix of Korean chili powder and red pepper flakes, however you can use what you have on hand.
Once coated, bake for 20 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
Divide the hot soup between serving bowls, top with crunchy croutons, a sprinkle of chopped cilantro, and serve!
- Can I use butternut squash instead of pumpkin? I tried this recipe with butternut squash but the flavor was not as deep, so I definitely have a preference for pumpkin.
- Which kind of bread is best for croutons? Use a rustic bread, preferably with a dense crumb. 1-day old bread works great for this recipe. Sandwich bread is not recommended for this recipe.
- Can I substitute cashews? Yes, you can substitute the cashews for about ½ cup of your favorite plant-based cream (soy or coconut cream for example).
If you are in need of a delicious and easy pumpkin soup recipe, you are going to love this silky smooth soup! It's thick, creamy, and the garlicky and spicy croutons make it 10 times better!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Pumpkin Soup with Spicy Croutons
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, lengthwise. Use an ice cream scoop to scrape out the seeds and strings. Brush the inside of the pumpkin halves with a teaspoon of oil, and place the pumpkin halves cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the flesh is tender. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the salt, ground black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and water.
- Scoop out the flesh of the roasted pumpkin and add it to the pot as well. Let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Next, transfer to a blender. Add the soaked cashews and blend on high-speed for 10-20 seconds, or until smooth. Taste and adjust saltiness if needed. Transfer to a saucepan to reheat once ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bread slices into ½-inch cubes and transfer to a bowl. Add the oil, melted butter, maple syrup, garlic, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir to coat and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through baking. Once golden brown, remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.
- To serve, divide the pumpkin soup between serving bowls, top with the spicy croutons, chopped parsley or cilantro, and a pinch of chili powder!
- This soup will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Croutons will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container, at room temperature.