Make use of those delicious summer peaches in this healthy, nutritious and delicious baked oatmeal!
It is moist, perfectly sweet, and packed with super juicy peach slices! The whole dish serves about 6, making it perfect for a family breakfast!
HOW TO MAKE BAKED OATMEAL
First, we prepare the flax egg, which helps the oatmeal hold together better. Ground flax seeds are combined with water and left to thicken for a few minutes.
Quick fact: Flax seeds are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and a ton of nutrients and fiber that are said to help prevent many types of cancer.
Next, combine rolled oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and almond milk. Then we have applesauce for moisture and a natural sweetness, melted butter for richness, and lime zest for freshness.
Once your oatmeal batter is ready, transfer to a baking dish and prepare the peaches.
I recommend using semi-ripe peaches. If the peaches are too ripe you will have trouble cutting them into slices. On the opposite, if the peaches are too hard, they won't be sweet enough and will be too crunchy, even after baking.
For extra flavor, coat the peach slices with coconut sugar and lime juice before arranging them in the baking dish. This will help a little bit with the caramelization as well.
I went with 2 peaches, but if you want your baked oatmeal more fruity, feel free to add one more and arrange the slices closer to each other.
Bake for about 30 minutes and serve warm! A big scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top and there you go: a filling, fruity, and decadent breakfast that the whole family will love!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Peach Baked Oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoon water
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon lime zests
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 and ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 semi-ripe peaches
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and slightly grease a 10x6-inch baking dish.
- Start by preparing the flax egg: in a small bowl, whisk the ground flax seeds with the water and let it sit 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, coconut sugar, baking powder, lime zest, and salt. Pour in the wet ingredients: apple sauce, almond milk, melted vegan butter, vanilla extract, and the flax egg. Stir until fully combined and transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Cut the peaches into slices and add to a small mixing bowl. Add the coconut sugar and lime juice and stir to coat. Arrange the peach slices on top of the oatmeal batter and slightly press them down.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the top appears golden brown and the peaches are tender. Let cool a few minutes before serving as is, or with some vanilla ice cream on top.