For those of you who prefer their breakfast on the savory side, this one is for you. These Masala steel-cut oats are ready in less than 10 minutes, and the best thing about it is that you can put everything in the Instant Pot, set the timer, and wake up to creamy and cozy oatmeal!
This makes the perfect comforting and savory breakfast! It’s easy, spicy, and flavorful!
Steel-cut oats are combined with water and full-fat coconut milk for extra creaminess. Then comes the spices that add a ton of flavor. I went with a traditional Indian spices mix that consists of garam masala, ground coriander, chili powder, and turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties. Hey, let’s get some health benefits while we are at it!
For a citrusy flavor, I also added grated ginger.
To prepare the oats, you simply combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Give it a quick stir and pressure cook for 6 minutes. I found that to be the perfect time for cooking the oats to perfection.
After 6 minutes, you let the pressure release naturally. This step will take about 5 minutes, giving you just enough time to prepare your toppings.
Give it another quick stir before dividing it into serving bowls. Top with your favorite toppings, and you are ready to go. Avocado and a dollop of coconut yogurt are great to add healthy fats, but raisins could be a nice option for a sweet and savory breakfast. May I recommend roasted cashews for some crunch?
I can say I’m going to make this breakfast A LOT this fall/winter because I just love it. It’s easy, healthy (pretty low in sugar), and so comforting! And it’s not only suitable for breakfast, it’s also great for dinner!
Let me know in the comments if you try this masala steel-cut oats recipe!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! Plus, you will receive new recipes every week!
I'd like to receive more tips & recipes from Full of Plants.
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp each: garam masala, turmeric, coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves or 1/4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp chili powder use 1 tsp if you like it spicy
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot liner. Give it a quick stir and close the lid.
- Set the valve on the "Sealed" position and pressure cook for 6 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally (about 5 minutes) before opening the lid. Stir again using a spoon just to combine.
- Divide into serving bowls, top with avocado, tofu, and/or coconut yogurt or cashew cream.
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.