With summer approaching, it’s time to bring back salads!
Not only this salad is big on flavor: think ginger, garlic, and lime, but it’s also super fresh, crunchy, and quick to prepare! Let’s see how it’s done!
As with most salads, it starts with the vegetables that you slice into thin strips for the green bell pepper and cucumber, and shred for the carrot and red cabbage. All these crunchy veggies balance with the chewiness of the lettuce, plus they add color to our salad!
Next, we have our fresh herbs: mint and basil. I recommend chopping the mint leaves while leaving the basil leaves whole. I prefer having whole basil leaves in salads, but it’s up to you!
Once all of our vegetables are ready, transfer to a large mixing bowl and pour in the dressing.
The dressing requires just 7 ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Soy sauce for saltiness and umami, maple syrup for sweetness, and lime juice for freshness. Then we have toasted sesame oil for a subtle nuttiness, garlic, and ginger for extra flavor. If you like some heat as well, a dash of sriracha will work well.
If you are looking for a quick and easy salad that is fresh, healthy, and big on flavor, you are going to love this one!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 4 cups packed chopped lettuce (or your favorite salad)
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 block (100g) of fried tofu, cut into matchsticks (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil (I used Thai basil)
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lime juice (more to taste)
- 2 tsp (10ml) toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp (10ml) sriracha (or Sweet Chili Sauce)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp minced ginger (optional)
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, lime juice, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, minced garlic, and ginger. Stir to combine.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the chopped lettuce, sliced bell pepper, cucumber, red cabbage, carrots, tofu if using, basil, and mint. Pour in the dressing and stir to coat the salad with the dressing. Taste and adjust sweetness and saltiness to your liking. I ended up adding an additional squeeze of lime, it’s up to you.
- Serve immediately or chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving. This salad is best eaten immediately. It’s delicious on its own as an appetizer but also great as a side for lasagna, pizza, noodles, etc!