This is the kind of salad that happens when your fridge is almost empty and you combine what you have on hand to make something fresh and healthy. In my case: kale, carrots, and ginger.
This oil-free salad is fresh, tasty, easy to make, and is perfect for a light dinner or an appetizer. It requires just 6 ingredients, It is so simple and so good that I didn’t want to ruin the simplicity of this dish by adding too much. Let’s go!
All you need is a bunch of kale and a couple of carrots as the main ingredients. Kale is first massaged with some salt (and an optional drizzle of oil if you don’t mind it) until it turns darker and softens. Then you add grated carrots and prepare the dressing.
The dressing consists of lime juice mixed with soy sauce, maple syrup, and grated ginger. It’s simple yet effective, it’s sour, sweet, and salty with some freshness and spiciness coming from fresh ginger.
To finish, sprinkle some fried onions or shallots on top, roasted cashews, and if not oil-free a drizzle of sesame oil for extra flavor! This salad takes basically 10 minutes to prepare and is low-calorie, fresh, tasty, and healthy!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 3 cups (180g) lightly packed kale
- 2 cups (100g) grated carrots
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lime juice (or white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- for topping: fried onions, roasted cashews
- Roughly chop the kale and add to a large mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt (and optionally 1 teaspoon of oil) and massage the kale for a about one minute, or until it turns darker and becomes tender.
- Add the grated carrots to the bowl and stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, soy sauce, maple syrup, and grated ginger. Pour in the dressing into the bowl and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately or let it chill for about 1 hour in the refrigerator. Top with crunchy fried onions or shallots, and/or roasted cashews!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 95
- Sugar: 8.6g
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 3.6g