French fries inspired by the iconic Japanese okonomiyaki! These golden brown fries are drizzled with a sweet tomato sauce, vegan mayo, and sprinkled with green onions and aonori! It's saucy, packed with flavor and super easy to make!
📘 What is Okonomiyaki
Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a Japanese savory pancake made of flour, cabbage, and other ingredients. It is pan-fried and then topped with a sauce made of Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, seaweed flakes, and bonito flakes.
This recipe swaps the pancakes for fries, and makes use of the same toppings for a flavor similar to okonomiyaki!
If you are looking for a recipe for regular Vegan Okonomiyaki, I have got you covered as well!
🥣 How to Make Okonomiyaki Fries
It starts with the fries. I recommend going with a type of potato with a high-starch content and low moisture like Russet potatoes, for the best texture and flavor.
Peel the potatoes and cut them into ½-inch thick matchsticks. Next, soak them in cold water for about 40 minutes. This step will help remove some of the excess starch and allow the fries to get crispier during frying.
Then, for cooking the fries I am sharing two options: deep-frying or air-frying.
This version yields crispier and better fries overall. Start by heating a pot of oil to 275°F (135°C). Once hot, fry the potatoes for about 5 minutes. Next, drain the potatoes and bring the heat of the oil to 400°F (200°C). Fry the potatoes a second time another 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown.
If you prefer a lower-fat, healthier option, you can air-fry the potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Now that the fries are done, let's talk about the toppings, which are the icing on the cake!
- Okonomiyaki sauce: Prepared from ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and sugar, this sauce is sweet and salty with a subtle tang.
- Vegan mayo: Use store-bought or homemade.
- Green onions: Raw or sautéed. Personally, I sautéed the green onions for 1 minute in a teaspoon of oil.
- Aonori: You can use regular aonori, or shiso furikake for a more floral flavor.
- Vegan meat floss and fried onions: Homemade vegan meat floss for texture, and fried shallots or onions for extra crispiness.
To serve, arrange the French fries on a plate and drizzle with the okonomiyaki sauce, vegan mayo, and top with the remaining toppings!
- Do not add too much salt to the fries as the toppings are already quite salty.
- If you do not have a thermometer or a deep-fryer, you can deep-fry the fries in a single time in a deep saucepan.
- These French fries are best served immediately for the best texture.
I hope you are going to love this dish! While it is definitely not traditional, it's a fun and delicious take on the regular okonomiyaki! It has the perfect balance of sweet and salty, and it's loaded with different textures!
- 4 medium potatoes (like Russet potatoes) about 1.5 pounds
- oil for frying
- salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and slice them in ½-inch thick matchsticks. Soak them in cold water for 30-45 minutes. Drain and pat it dry on kitchen paper towels.
- Deep-Frying option: Heat 2-3 inches of oil in a large saucepan or deep-fryer to 275°F (135°C). Once hot, add the potatoes and fry for 4-5 minutes. Remove the fries from oil using a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper towels.Bring the oil to a temperature of 400°F (200°C). Once hot, re-add the fries to the oil and fry for another 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and stir to coat.
- Air-Fryer option: Pre-heat your air fryer to about 375°F (190°C). Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir to coat.Add the potatoes to the air fryer and cook for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the air fryer and transfer the fries to a plate lined with parchment paper.
- Combine the ketchup, vegan Worcestershire sauce, coconut sugar, and soy sauce in a small bowl. Whisk until sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer the French fries to a plate and drizzle with the okonomiyaki sauce, vegan mayo, chopped green onions, vegan meat floss and crispy onions if using, and aonori. Enjoy immediately!