Calling all matcha lovers!
Matcha meets white chocolate and vanilla in this silky smooth and creamy flan! It’s fresh, naturally-sweetened, and very easy to make. Let’s do it!
HOW TO MAKE MATCHA FLAN
Making this matcha dessert is easy and requires just 20 minutes and 8 ingredients!
We start by dissolving matcha powder in a couple of tablespoons of water. You can use a matcha whisk or a milk frother for this step.
Obviously, the higher the quality of your matcha, the better the flavor. Here, I used ceremonial grade matcha, bringing a brighter green color, and almost no bitterness, as opposed to cooking grade matcha.
Next, combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to dissolve.
We are using:
- Almond milk: I recommend going with the unsweetened kind. You can definitely use your favorite plant-based milk here: cashew milk, soy milk, or even oat milk will work.
- Maple syrup: To naturally sweeten the flans. Avoid using coconut sugar, it would overpower the matcha flavor and give the flan a darker color.
- Cacao butter: It adds a subtle white chocolate flavor that goes very well with the matcha! Plus it gives the flan a richer mouthfeel.
- Coconut cream: For texture and to add richness. If you are not a fan of coconut, do not worry, you can’t really taste it.
- Vanilla extract: Combined with the cacao butter, it helps give that white chocolate flavor.
- Cornstarch and agar agar: Both help the flan set once chilled.
Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil and slightly thickens. Next, transfer to ramekins and let cool completely!
The flans will set after a few hours in the refrigerator. To serve, flip the flan over a plate, top with a dollop of coconut cream, some shaved chocolate, and a pinch of matcha powder!
Note: For this recipe, I chose not to add any caramel. After testing, it seemed adding caramel like in this Vegan Creme Caramel was overpowering the subtle matcha and white chocolate flavor. I think this flan shines better on its own, however if you really want to serve it with caramel, feel free to do so! You can check the caramel recipe in my creme caramel recipe.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Matcha White Chocolate Flan (Vegan)
- To a sauce pan, add the almond milk, maple syrup, melted cacao butter, diluted matcha, cornstarch, agar agar powder, and vanilla extract. Whisk to dissolve the cornstarch and agar.
- Add the coconut cream. Heat over medium-heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the mixture slightly thickens.
- Transfer to 4 ramekins (or 3 larger ones) and let cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator. Refrigerate for another 4 hours, or until set.
- Run a knife around each flan and flip over a plate. Garnish with a dollop of coconut cream and shaved chocolate. Serve chilled!
- Matcha white chocolate flans will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.