If you have raw cashews and a few spices on hand, you are 10 minutes away from crunchy and delicious cashews!
These 7-ingredient cashews are seasoned with spices like cumin, paprika, coriander, and turmeric for a delicate curry flavor!
I found the best way to evenly coat the cashews with salt and sugar was to first dilute them in water. You combine coconut sugar, salt, and water in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved. The use of coconut sugar will give our cashews a golden brown color and a delicious caramelized flavor.
Once this is done, pour over the cashews and stir to coat.
Next, it’s time to add the spices! I went with a combination of cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, and onion powder for more flavor. Feel free to experiment with your favorite spices, I’m thinking fenugreek, smoked paprika, or chili would make great additions!
When it comes to roasting, you don’t want to roast your cashews too much otherwise the nuttiness will overpower the spices. I found 12 minutes at 325°F to be the perfect spot, yielding crunchy cashews without burning the spices.
These curried cashews are crunchy, not oily or sticky, a bit sweet, and infused with aromatic spices. It makes a healthy savory snack, but can also be served as an appetizer with cocktails!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Curried Roasted Cashews
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or white sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a small saucepan, add the water, coconut sugar, and salt. Heat over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until the sugar has melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the cashews to a mixing bowl. Pour in the sugar syrup, oil, and sir to combine. Add the spices and stir again to coat the cashews.
- Spread the cashews on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 12-13 minutes. Stir once halfway through baking. You don't want to roast the cashews too much.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Enjoy as a savory snack, or as an appetizer! Store the curried cashews in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.