These easy 5-minute overnight oats are infused with chai spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and ginger, and soaked in almond milk and brewed black tea. Super creamy, healthy, naturally sweetened, and perfect for meal-prep!
I make these chai overnight oats so regularly that I realized it needed its own recipe. It's perfectly spiced and tastes just like a chai latte!
📘 What are Overnight Oats
Overnight oats are rolled oats that are soaked overnight in milk and/or water. As opposed to oatmeal, which is cooked on the stove, overnight oats are eaten raw. The soaking process allow the oats to soften and get a porridge consistency.
- Rich in fiber: Oats are naturally high in fiber, promoting good digestion and making you feel full longer.
- High in antioxidants: It may help reduce blood pressure and has anti-inflammatory properties.
🥣 How to Make Overnight Oats
The advantage of overnight oats is that it requires very minimal ingredients that you most probably already have on hand. Here is what you will need:
- Rolled oats - You can also use quick oats, but I personally prefer the chewier texture of rolled oats.
- Unsweetened almond milk - Or any plant-based milk. Cashew milk works great as well.
- Black tea - To give the oats that specific chai tea flavor. A great way to use leftover brewed black tea!
- Maple syrup - To sweeten, maple syrup adds a nice caramel flavor to the oats. You can use agave or honey if not vegan. A liquid sweetener works best for overnight oats as it dissolves better.
- Chai spices - Ground cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and an optional pinch of cloves.
Preparing these chai overnight oats takes just 5 minutes, you can simply prepare it in the evening to have it ready for the next morning, or make a bigger batch to enjoy throughout the week. To prepare these overnight oats:
- Combine rolled oats with the spices.
- Add the almond milk, brewed black tea, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine and transfer to a jar.
- Refrigerate overnight, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy in the morning!
When it comes to toppings, feel free to be creative! A few of my favorites are almond butter, chocolate chips, banana slices, and a sprinkle of extra cinnamon. You can also use:
- Fresh fruits: sliced apples, raspberries, blueberries, or even mango!
- Nuts: chopped hazelnuts, roasted pecans, peanuts, or macadamia nuts are great options.
- Vegan protein powder: if you want a protein-rich breakfast. I recommend using a neutral protein powder, or a vanilla-flavored one.
- Seeds: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, or chia seeds for healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Shredded coconut or coconut flakes: use raw or toasted flakes.
- Chocolate spread: Like this delicious vanilla chocolate spread.
- Instead of first mixing the oats in a bowl, you can combine everything directly in a jar.
- For more natural sweetness, feel free to add chopped dates or raisins directly into the oats. Raisins will plump and become softer and juicier.
- Add the toppings just before serving to prevent them from getting soggy.
- How long do these overnight oats keep? Overnight oats will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Can I use another grain? Yes, you can substitute the rolled oats with quinoa or buckwheat flakes.
- Can I double this recipe? This recipe can be easily doubled if you want to meal-prep your breakfasts. Feel free to switch up the toppings for a slightly different breakfast everyday!
- How long should I let the oats soak? For soft and creamy oats, let it soak for at least 4 hours.
- Can I cook overnight oats? Yes, if you are craving something warm the next morning, simply heat the oats in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. It is said that soaking the oats also helps make them easier to digest.
I hope you are going to love this Chai overnight oats recipe! It's perfect for meal-prep, healthy, naturally sweetened, and tastes SO GOOD!
Chai-Spiced Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup brewed black tea
- 2 tablespoon vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- a pinch of salt
- For topping: banana slices, chocolate chips, almond butter or vegan caramel
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Transfer to a jar and cover with the lid.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Before eating, top with banana slices, chocolate chips, almond butter, or your favorite toppings!
- Overnight oats will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.