This bulgur and green lentils salad is just what you need when the sun is starting to come out. Meaning right now.
It comes together in twenty or so minutes (not counting the chilling time), making it perfect for when you have little time in the evening and want to prepare a healthy salad for the next day. If you are looking for a flavorful, fresh, and healthy salad, this might be just what you need!
The only cooking required is for the bulgur and lentils. I’m giving two ways to cook them, on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot. Both take approximately the same time, give it two more minutes on the stovetop.
If you have never tried bulgur, it’s a whole grain that has approximately the size of quinoa. It has a nutty flavor and a chewy texture. Be aware it’s not gluten-free though as it is made out of wheat groats. Still, it’s a very tasty grain to have if you are looking for more variety.
Once the bulgur and green lentils are cooked, stir in the rest of the ingredients: chopped almonds, sweet corn, baby spinach, carrots, and sunflower seeds for more crunch. You can obviously tweak it by using other nuts or vegetables depending on what you have on hand. I’m thinking of pine nuts, red bell pepper, radishes, or even a few raisins!
Then comes the guacamole, which is NOT optional. It’s really part of the recipe as it goes incredibly well with the nuttiness of the bulgur. I kept things easy for the guacamole: ripe avocado mixed with lime juice, onion, garlic, salt, a pinch of ground coriander, and a few mint leaves.
Am I the only one who never has perfectly ripe avocados? Each and every time I plan to use avocados they are either rock hard or too ripe and brown inside. #avocadotimingproblems Apparently it’s possible to make them ripe by wrapping them in foil and baking in the oven for 10 minutes. I haven’t tried it yet but I certainly will, have you guys tried this technique?
To serve, dollop the guacamole on the side of a plate, arrange the bulgur salad on the side, and drizzle with lime juice!
This salad is super fresh, healthy, and packed with good carbs and protein. It’s also great for meal prep as it keeps very well in the refrigerator!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1 cup (225g) bulgur
- 1/3 cup (65g) green lentils
- 2 and 1/2 cup (587ml) water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup (35g) chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp (16g) sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup (50g) sweet corn (I used a can)
- 1 cup (30g) baby spinach
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (18g) mustard
- 1 tsp (5ml) maple syrup
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 and 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 2 avocados
- 6-8 mint leaves, finely chopped (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp (30ml) lime juice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small garlic cloves, minced
- ground pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking the bulgur and lentils. Stovetop method: Combine the bulgur, green lentils, water, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 13-15 minutes. Drain off excess liquid if needed. Instant Pot method: Add the bulgur, green lentils, water, and salt to the Instant Pot. Secure with the lid on the “sealed” position. Press the rice button and let cook for 12 minutes on low-pressure. After 12 minutes, quick release the pressure manually by turning the valve. Fluff the bulgur with a fork.
- Transfer the bulgur to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, stir in the diced carrots, chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, corn, and baby spinach. Pour in the dressing and mix well until well combined. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To serve: Dollop 3-4 tbsp of guacamole on a serving plate and spread lightly using the back of a spoon. Add the bulgur salad on the side and drizzle with lime juice.
- This bulgur salad will keep covered for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Peel the avocados and transfer to a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mash using a fork until combined. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Cover with plastic film to touch and chill for at least half an hour.
- Serving Size: 1 (with guacamole)
- Calories: 347
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Fat: 21.2g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9g
- Fiber: 13.5g
- Protein: 8.8g