If I had to keep only one side dish recipe, it would be these glazed carrots. Yes, it’s that good. Actually, this dish will probably steal the show on your holiday table.
These glazed carrots literally melt in your mouth, leaving a sweet and buttery flavor. It requires just 3 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), one pan, and 30 minutes!
WHAT ARE CARROTS VICHY?
“Carrots Vichy” is a French side dish that consists of carrots sautéed in butter and then cooked in water until tender. It’s very similar to brown sugar glazed carrots, but not as sweet.
The carrots are super tender, slightly caramelized, and have the perfect balance of saltiness, sweetness, and richness. It’s one of my favorite side dish!
HOW TO MAKE GLAZED CARROTS
Making glazed carrots is not only easy, but requires very little preparation and active time.
First, melt the butter in a deep skillet or large saucepan. Once melted, stir in a tablespoon of sugar and add the sliced carrots. To make this recipe refined sugar-free, feel free to use maple syrup. At this point, you want to sauté the carrots for a few minutes to get some coloration.
Quick tip: instead of using sliced carrots, you can totally use baby carrots!
Next, season with salt and pepper, and cover with water. Let simmer uncovered over medium heat, until all of the water has evaporated and the carrots have absorbed the sweet and buttery sauce.
Finally, for extra flavor, sauté for another 3-4 minutes, just to get a subtle caramelization. While optional, I also like to stir in an additional teaspoon of butter at the end of cooking, it adds more richness and take this dish to another level! Top with a handful of fresh parsley, and/or rosemary, and serve warm.
While these carrots are perfect as a side for the holidays, it can definitely be enjoyed alone as a small meal, or with your favorite plant-based protein like tofu, vegan chicken, seitan, vegan fish, etc!
Carrots are not only high in fiber, calcium, potassium, but also low-calorie, making it a healthy everyday dinner.
These glazed carrots make the perfect Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish! Everyone loves it (tried and tested!), it’s slightly sweet, buttery, and so tasty!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Glazed Carrots (Carrots Vichy)
- 4 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 and 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a deep and large non-stick skillet over medium-heat. Once melted, add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Next, add the sliced carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 25-30 minutes, or until all of the water has evaporated and the carrots are tender. If carrots are not cooked and there is no more water, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking.
- Keep cooking for another 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, until the carrots get slightly browned edges. Taste and adjust saltiness to taste.
- If you are making this dish for the holidays, feel free to stir in an additional teaspoon of butter for more richness and flavor. Top with chopped parsley and serve warm!