Just one pot, 8 ingredients, and less than 40 minutes for it to cook. Introducing this comforting and creamy Buffalo Sweet Potato Soup!
This soup has the same qualities of a cozy blanket: it makes you feel good and provides extra warmth.
This recipe is as easy as adding all the ingredients to a pot and letting it simmer for 35-40 minutes. You start by cooking onions and garlic until soft and then add the diced sweet potato, coconut milk for creaminess, buffalo sauce for spiciness, and smoked paprika for a subtle smoky flavor.
Once the sweet potato is fork-tender, transfer everything to a blender and blend until perfectly smooth and creamy. To add more flavor, I also add fresh basil leaves before blending the soup.
I like my soups thick, but if you prefer your soup with a thinner texture, feel free to add more water when blending.
To add more protein and make this a full meal you can serve it with sautéed tofu or tempeh, and top with pine nuts for some crunch. Good carbs + protein + healthy fats make the perfect winter dish to keep you going during these grey and cold days.
Okay, I'm leaving you now because I have a bowl of this a spicy, smoky, and warming soup waiting for me.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Buffalo Sweet Potato Soup
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and sautée 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- In the meantime, peel the sweet potato and dice it into small, evenly-sized cubes. Add the diced sweet potato, full-fat coconut milk, buffalo sauce, water, smoked paprika, and salt to the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender, add the fresh basil, and blend for 10-15 seconds or until the soup is smooth and creamy. You can add some water to adjust the consistency to your liking, I didn't add any as I like my soups to be thick.
- Serve immediately with your favorite toppings. Tofu or tempeh are great to add protein and make it a full meal.
- The soup will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.