Nutella lovers, you are going to love this dessert! This vegan chocolate hazelnut mousse is chocolatey, nutty, and insanely addicting (to a dangerous level). It’s super easy to make, naturally sweetened, and requires just 5 ingredients!
📘 What is Chocolate Mousse
A chocolate mousse is a light and airy chocolate cream usually prepared with whipped egg whites, dark chocolate, yolks, and sugar. It originated in France around 1750.
This version is vegan and features hazelnut butter, giving it a nuttier flavor.
🥣 How to Make Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse
Preparing this chocolate hazelnut mousse takes less than 25 minutes and requires just 5 ingredients. Here is what you will need:
- Aquafaba – The liquid from a can of chickpeas.
- Coconut cream – It will help the mousse firm up once cold. Don’t worry. The coconut flavor is very subtle.
- Hazelnut butter – For that Nutella-like flavor! You can use store-bought roasted hazelnut butter or make your own.
- Coconut sugar – To sweeten and add a light caramel flavor.
- Cacao powder – Use the unsweetened kind. If you want a very chocolatey mousse, increase the amount by 1 tablespoon.
- Vanilla extract – Optional, but vanilla extract always make things better!
It starts with the aquafaba that is whipped until it reaches stiff peaks. This step can take up to 10 minutes, so I highly recommend whipping in a stand mixer and being patient.
In the meantime, combine hazelnut butter, coconut cream, coconut sugar, cacao powder, and vanilla extract in a bowl until it forms a thick cream.
Next, you want to fold the coconut cream/hazelnut butter mixture into the whipped aquafaba. Be gentle while folding to keep a light and airy texture.
The aquafaba will deflate once fully combined. That is totally normal. Once combined, transfer to ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Use coconut cream: You must absolutely use coconut cream for this recipe. It is the hard part on top of a chilled can of full-fat coconut milk.
- Do not overmix: As soon as there is no more white aquafaba visible, stop mixing. Otherwise, the mousse will not have an airy texture.
This recipe makes 3 ramekins of about 1/2 cup each. Feel free to adjust the servings by using smaller or larger ramekins.
If you like Nutella, you are going to LOVE this chocolate hazelnut mousse! It’s rich, creamy, light, and has the perfect balance of chocolate and hazelnut! A decadent dessert with a rich and velvety texture.
I served this chocolate hazelnut mousse to vegans and non-vegans, and everyone loved it!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- Add the aquafaba to a stand mixer. Whip on high speed for 5-10 minutes, or until it reaches stiff peaks. This step might take a while, so be patient.
- In the meantime, add the coconut cream, hazelnut butter, coconut sugar, cacao powder, vanilla, and salt, to a mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined. The sugar and cacao powder should be fully dissolved. If you want to save time, you can add all of the ingredients to a small blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the whipped aquafaba to a large mixing bowl. Pour in half of the coconut cream mixture and fold it gently using a spatula. Once it is almost combined, add the remaining coconut cream mixture and fold again until you don't see any white aquafaba left. The aquafaba will deflate, and you will end up with an almost liquid consistency, which is normal.
- Immediately pour into 3 small ramekins and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight. The mousse will harden as it cools.
- Top with roasted hazelnuts and shaved chocolate, and enjoy chilled!