Naan is great, but it’s even better when it’s stuffed with spicy potatoes and green beans!
This naan is everything you are looking for: thin, soft, and buttery. AND stuffed! Let’s do this!
It starts with the dough, you knead the flour with water, yeast, baking powder, salt, maple syrup, and vegan yogurt. The addition of yogurt brings tenderness and gives the dough more flavor.
Once you have a smooth dough, it needs to rest for about 2 hours. While the dough is resting, you prepare the filling.
For the filling, I went with onion and ginger that are sautéed until golden brown. Next we have cooked potatoes and green beans, and finally aromatic spices like cumin, garam masala, chili, and turmeric.
Be aware that your potatoes have to be well cooked so they can mash easily when you shape the naans.
To prepare the naans, divide the dough into small balls and flatten into thin rounds. Place about 2 tbsp of the potato mixture in the center, and fold the edges over the filling, trying to leave as little air as possible.
Next, you want to flatten the ball again with your hands into a thin round or oval shape. I recommend doing it by hand as I found that a rolling pin tend to make the filling escape.
Finally, cook over medium-heat in a non-stick skillet until golden brown on each side! Brush with vegan butter, top with chopped cilantro, and enjoy!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1/2 cup (118ml) warm water (divided)
- 1/2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp (5ml) maple syrup
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp (75ml) vegan yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- melted butter for brushing
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp each: garam masala, chili
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small (about 150g) potato (boiled), diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup (30g) cooked green beans, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp lime juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of warm water with the dry yeast and the maple syrup. Let it sit 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour with baking powder and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture, the remaining 1/4 cup of water, vegan yogurt, and oil.
- Using a wooden spoon until it forms a dough. Then knead with your hands for about 5 minutes, or until you get a smooth and slightly sticky dough. The dough should be quite soft and just slightly sticky, if it’s too dry add a few teaspoons of water and knead again.
- Cover the dough with cling film to touch and let it rest for about 2 hours. In the meantime, prepare the filling.
- Once the dough has almost doubled in size, knead it a few seconds and divide into 4 balls.
- On a floured surface, roll out one ball into a thin round. Place about 2 tbsp of the filling in the center of the naan. Next, pull the edges of the dough to enclose the filling, trying not to leave air inside.
- Using your hands, flatten the ball again into a thin oval shape. I recommend using your hands instead of a rolling pin to prevent the dough from cracking, you don’t want the filling to escape. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat. Once the skillet is very hot, add a naan and cook for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Then flip and cook the other side for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat, brush with melted vegan butter and top with chopped cilantro. Serve warm with your favorite dip!
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden. Add the ginger and cook for another minute.
- Next, add the cumin, garam masala, chili, turmeric, salt, diced potatoes, and chopped green beans. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Taste and adjust spiciness/saltiness to your liking and let it cool a few minutes before filling the naans. You don’t want the filling to be hot or you will burn yourself while stuffing the naans.
- Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Naan
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 58.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Protein: 8.6g