Super chewy oatmeal coconut cookies are here!
These cookies are inspired by a cookie I bought at the store the other day. On the paper, it sounded delicious: oats and coconut, naturally sweetened, and with minimal ingredients. But it was pretty dry and not very flavorful. So to overcome my frustration I decided to make my own version because you just can't stay on a bad cookie experience, everyone knows that.
Let's make healthy, dairy-free, vegan, and 9-ingredient chewy cookies!
The base of these cookies is rolled oats, oat flour, almond flour, and shredded coconut (for a lot of coconut flavor). There is no dry sugar here, and that's what makes the difference. The only sweetener in these cookies is coconut nectar. It makes the texture super chewy and the cookies stay soft and chewy for days! Seriously, no more dry cookies after just 2 days!
You can substitute the coconut nectar for maple syrup or agave, both work. I went with coconut nectar because I like its subtle caramel flavor.
To make the cookies, you simply combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix until it forms a slightly sticky dough. Then form balls, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape into cookies. These cookies won't spread so you really want to give them a flat and round shape before baking.
As the cookie dough is a bit sticky I recommend using slightly wet hands to shape the cookies, this way it doesn't stick to your hands.
Finally, press chocolate chips on top of the cookies and bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will be soft right from the oven, let them cool at least 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
If you are looking for soft, chewy, and coconut-y oatmeal cookies that are naturally sweetened and healthy, look no further!
Plus this cookie recipe is definitely suitable for breakfast as it only contains whole ingredients and a lot of oats! These also make a great afternoon snack!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Healthy Oat & Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the rolled oats, oat flour, almond flour, shredded coconut, and salt.
- Add the coconut nectar, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Don't overmix, you want to keep the texture of the rolled oats.
- Scoop out about 3 tablespoons of dough, form a ball with your hands and place it on the baking sheet. Using slightly wet hands, flatten and shape the ball into the size of a cookie. Cookies won't spread during baking. Repeat with the remaining dough. Press several chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms look golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cookies will be very soft right from the oven but will firm up as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.