This rich and hearty vegan corn soup gets its creaminess from coconut cream. It's slightly sweet and makes such a delicious and comforting meal! Ready in just 30 minutes with 10 ingredients!
Fall is right around the corner, which means soup season is coming!
🌽 What is Corn Soup
Corn soup, also called cream or corn, is a type of soup prepared from sweet corn. It's a dish that is popular worldwide and usually served as an appetizer.
While most recipes call for dairy cream to add richness and thickness to the soup, here we are going with full-fat coconut milk for a dairy-free option!
🥣 How to Make Corn Soup
This plant-based corn soup requires just 30 minutes to prepare and 10 easy-to-find ingredients. Here is what you will need:
- Corn - Preferably fresh sweet corn for the best flavor. If you prefer to use frozen corn, check out the FAQ.
- Vegan butter - For a nice buttery flavor. You can use store-bought vegan butter or homemade vegan cultured butter.
- Garlic & shallots
- Salt & sugar - To season. Any type of sugar will work, so feel free to use coconut sugar or maple syrup if you want to keep this soup refined sugar-free.
- Ground black pepper - For some heat and a heartier flavor.
- Coconut cream - Or full-fat coconut milk. Coconut cream brings richness to the soup and gives it a slightly thicker texture.
- Green onions - To garnish, chopped green onions bring some freshness as well as a vibrant green color.
Tip: How to Remove Corn from The Cobs
First, start by separating the corn kernels from the cob. To do so:
- Remove the leaves and the threads from the ears of corn.
- Trim off each end of the corn and cut the corn into 2-3 pieces.
- Use a knife to cut one row of corn kernels.
- Use your thumb to detach the following rows. They will come very easily.
- Repeat with the remaining corn pieces and rinse the kernels.
Now that our corn is prepared, it's time to make the soup!
Start by sautéing the garlic and shallots for a few minutes, or until golden brown. Next, add the corn kernels and sauté for another 5 minutes.
This step will help create a deeper flavor, I personally like to cook the corn until golden brown and almost caramelized.
Next, cover with water and season with salt, sugar, and black pepper. Cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Finally, pour in the coconut cream and blend until smooth! If you want a very smooth and creamy texture, use a high-speed blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes. An immersion blender will work but won't give you the smoothest texture, so that's up to you!
Garnish with sautéed corn, chopped green onions, and serve hot!
- Can I use frozen corn kernels for this recipe? Sure! If using frozen corn kernels, use about 1 cup.
- Can I make this recipe coconut-free? You can replace the coconut cream with cashew cream or your favorite plant-based heavy cream.
- How long does this corn soup keep? This corn soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Reheat gently over low-medium heat.
This vegan corn soup, or should I say cream of corn, is rich, creamy and SO comforting! Plus, you can easily make it heartier by serving it with croutons, baked tofu, or sautéed vegetables!
🌽 More Recipes Featuring Corn
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Easy Vegan Corn Soup
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 and ¼ cup water feel free to adjust to get a thinner or thicker consistency
- ¼ cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Prepare the corn: Remove the leaves and the threads from the ears of corn. Trim off the ends of the corn and discard. Cut the ears of corn into 2-3 pieces.Use a knife to cut off one row of corn kernels. Then, use your thumb to push the other rows in the direction of the one you just removed. Repeat with the remaining corn pieces. Rinse the corn kernels under cold water and drain. Set aside.
- To make the soup: heat the butter and oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced shallot and garlic, and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the drained corn kernels and sauté for another 5 minutes. At this point, you can save about ¼ cup of the corn to use as a topping later.
- Season the corn with salt, sugar, and ground black pepper, and cover with the water. Bring to a simmer and let simmer covered for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour in the coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk). Transfer to a high-speed blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve hot and garnish with chopped green onions and sautéed corn!
- Corn soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Cant wait to make this soon for me i never had vegan corn soup before btw i didnt see your posts on instagram and i miss your posts on instagram always perfect for hot and raining days here in Singapore and after officw meals love your recipes as always brightens up my day everyday after work
Thanks Ramya! Hope you will enjoy the recipe 🙂
Please stop posting such tasty dishes…! 😜
Looks heavenly!!! I can’t wait to try it myself!!!
I just try the vegan corn soup recipe. This is the second time eat corn soup. Excellent!
Thank you Thomas.
Have a nice day.
You're welcome Harrisson!