Meet your new favorite dish, sweet potatoes filled with barbecue lentils. This recipe has been a regular in our house lately, we had it twice this week!
The baked sweet potatoes are super soft on the inside, topped with spicy-sweet-smoky green lentils and drizzled with tahini sauce. It results in a combination of flavors and texture that I just can’t get enough.
Sometimes, all you want is a filling, hearty, yet healthy meal that is easy to make without sacrificing flavor. This is exactly what this recipe is about.
This recipe is really simple and incredibly delicious. The potatoes are wrapped with foil and put in the oven for about one hour, in the meantime you can prepare the lentils.
Lentils are THE superfood. They are packed with protein and fiber, low in fat and cook in about 25 minutes. The lentils are cooked with tomato sauce, maple syrup, mustard, sriracha and liquid smoke to create that particular barbecue flavor.
I also added some smoked paprika that pairs really well with the tomato sauce. If you don’t have liquid smoke, just double the amount of smoked paprika.
Once your sweet potatoes are cooked, you just open them with a knife, top with barbecue lentils and drizzle with tahini sauce. And there you go, a simple yet flavorful meal made with basic and natural ingredients.
These also make a great pre-workout meal, they are loaded with carbs, high in protein and really filling. Only half a serving keeps me full for the whole afternoon!
Let me know if you try this recipe (I hope you do, because it’s super tasty!) and feel free to tag @fullofplants on Instagram!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup pure tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp sriracha, or more to taste
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1/8 tsp salt
- water to thin out
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and brush the sweet potatoes, pat them dry with a dish towel.
- Prick each potato a few times with a knife and wrap each one loosely with foil.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent the onions from burning.
- Add the tomato sauce, water, maple syrup, mustard, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, salt and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sriracha, to taste.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, and slice them lengthwise down the center. Expand the sides a little bit and top with about 1/3 cup of the bbq lentils. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
- Serve hot with a salad.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Add more water if needed to thin out.
The nutritional information is based on one medium sweet potato (225g) and about 1/3 cup of green bbq lentils.
- Serving Size: 1 (without tahini dressing)
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 83g
- Fiber: 18g
- Protein: 11g