Let me introduce you to my latest favorite snack/meal!
Vibrant basil pesto quinoa, soy-glazed mushrooms, crunchy fried onions, avocado, and crispy red cabbage wrapped inside a tender tortilla. Sounds awesome, doesn’t it? Well, it is!
If you are in need of a tasty and filling portable meal, these quick and delicious wraps are exactly what you need. Let’s make wraps!
We start with the star of the show: pesto quinoa. First, cook your quinoa in a pot, or Instant Pot until tender. Next, we combine it with homemade pesto that consists of fresh basil, nutritional yeast, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil.
Combine just half of the pesto with the quinoa and keep the rest to spread on the tortilla for extra flavor.
Next, we have sautéed mushrooms. Super quick, super simple: sauté your favorite mushrooms until tender, and deglaze with soy sauce.
Now onto the fried onions, thinly slice your onions and fry for a few minutes or until golden brown. The addition of fried onions to the wraps add crunchiness, sweetness, and a ton of flavor. If you are watching your oil intake you can omit, but otherwise definitely don’t skip them!
To assemble, place your soy-glazed mushrooms on top of the pesto, add the quinoa, crunchy fried onions, some red cabbage, and a couple slices of avocado. Wrap it tightly into a burrito shape and enjoy!
These wraps are fresh, healthy, and packed with flavors! Yum! Plus they are highly customizable, you can swap the quinoa for brown rice or buckwheat groats, and sneak-in extra veggies, pickles, greens, etc!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Pesto Quinoa Wraps
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 avocado sliced
- 4-5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 5 tortillas
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water. Combine the quinoa and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed all the water. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Prepare the pesto: combine the fresh basil, raw cashews, olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, lime juice, and maple syrup in a blender. Blend on high-speed for 20-30 seconds. Transfer half of the pesto to the quinoa and stir to combine.
- Prepare the mushrooms: Heat a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick skillet. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Deglaze with the soy sauce, stir, and cook for one more minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare the onions (optional): Heat about 1/3 cup of oil in a small saucepan. Once hot, add the sliced onions and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper towel to remove excess oil.
- To assemble: spread about 1 tbsp of pesto in the middle of a tortilla wrap. Add a few slices of mushrooms, about 1/4 cup of pesto quinoa, a couple slices of avocado, some shredded red cabbage, and 1-2 tbsp of fried onions.
- Fold up the bottom over the filling, then fold the edges and roll it up tightly into a burrito shape. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Enjoy at room temperature, or chilled! These wraps will keep for up to two days in the refrigerator.