Whether you are looking for a healthy meal to enjoy after the holidays, or just want a quick protein-packed buddha bowl, I have got you covered.
These bowls feature saucy tofu flavored with lime juice and chili sauce, spicy green curry hummus, and chili roasted sweet potato slices. It's super good and requires less than 40 minutes, let's do it!
Preparing the tofu takes about 25 minutes, so make sure you start cooking your rice (or noodles, quinoa, etc) and the sweet potatoes beforehand.
We first start by slicing our sweet potato, lightly brush with oil, and sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and ground chili for spiciness. 12-15 minutes in the oven and we get perfectly tender, slightly crispy sweet potato slices.
Now onto the tofu! I went with firm tofu that I cut into cubes, coated with cornstarch, and then shallow-fried until golden brown. The crust will allow the tofu to absorb all the flavors of the sauce.
For the sauce, we have lime juice for the sourness, coconut sugar for sweetness, and sweet chili sauce for spiciness. You can make your own sweet chili sauce, or buy one online, or at Asian stores. I recommend going with the Cholimex or Chin-Su brands if you choose to buy it.
To add extra protein, flavor, and healthy fats, I added a generous dollop of hummus flavored with green curry paste, giving it a delicate lemongrass and green chili flavor!
These bowls are easy, filling, packed with flavor, and high in protein. It's so good I had these three times last week!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Sweet & Sour Tofu Bowls
Green Curry Hummus
- ½ cup hummus
- ½ teaspoon green curry paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- ½ sweet potato thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chili
- 2 cups cooked rice (or your favorite grains)
- greens, avocado, cucumber
- If you are making the sweet potatoes, prepare it before the tofu. I also recommend cooking the rice, noodles, or your favorite grain before cooking the tofu.
- Heat the 3 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. In the meantime, add the cornstarch to a deep plate and toss the tofu cubes with the cornstarch. Slightly shake to remove excess cornstarch.
- Transfer the coated tofu to the skillet and fry on each side for 4-5 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and crispy. Once the tofu cubes are golden on each side, transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper to remove excess oil.
- Clean your skillet with a piece of kitchen paper towel to remove the remaining oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, coconut sugar, and soy sauce. Add the tofu back to the skillet, pour in the sauce and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly to coat the tofu with the sauce. Once the tofu is coated and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices on the baking sheet and brush with oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and chili and roast for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
Green Curry Hummus
- Combine the hummus, green curry paste, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Keep the toasted sesame oil to use as a topping later.
- Prepare two deep plates or bowls. Add a generous dollop (about ¼ cup) of hummus on the side of the bowl and drizzle with toasted sesame oil. Add the cooked rice, roasted sweet potato slices, sweet and sour tofu, and top with cucumber, a few slices of avocado, fresh mint, and your favorite greens. Enjoy immediately!