These Sweet & Sour Tofu Bowls feature saucy tofu flavored with lime juice and chili sauce, spicy green curry hummus, and chili-roasted sweet potato slices. It’s super flavorful and requires less than 40 minutes to prepare!
Whether you are looking for a healthy meal to enjoy after the holidays or just want a quick protein-packed Buddha bowl, I have got you covered.
⭐️ Why You Should Try This Recipe
- It’s nourishing and SO flavorful! The sweet and sour tofu balances so well with the creamy hummus and the spicy sweet potatoes.
- It packs 17g of protein per serving!
- It’s versatile: You can serve the tofu with your favorite grain like white rice, quinoa, or even buckwheat groats!
- Karen said: “The tofu came out perfect, great recipe. The seemingly small touch of half a teaspoon green curry in the hummus is the secret that makes this bowl great.”
🥣 How to Make Sweet & Sour Tofu
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
We start by slicing our sweet potato into thin slices, lightly brushing with oil, and sprinkling with a good pinch of salt and ground chili for spiciness. 12-15 minutes in the oven, and we get perfectly tender, slightly crispy sweet potato slices!
Sweet & Sour Tofu
Now, onto the tofu! Preparing the tofu takes about 25 minutes:
- Cut firm tofu into cubes and coat it with cornstarch.
- Then, shallow-fry until golden brown in a non-stick skillet. The crust will allow the tofu to absorb all the sauce flavors.
- Coat with the sauce, and enjoy!
For the sauce, we have lime juice for the sourness, coconut sugar for sweetness, and sweet chili sauce for spiciness. You can make your own sweet chili sauce, or buy one online, or at Asian stores. I recommend going with the Cholimex or Chin-Su brands if you buy it.
To add extra protein, flavor, and healthy fats, I added a generous dollop of hummus flavored with green curry paste, giving it a delicate lemongrass and green chili flavor!
To assemble the bowls, pour a dollop of the green curry hummus into a plate. Add the cooked rice, roasted sweet potato slices, and sweet and sour tofu. Garnish with fresh herbs, avocado slices, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil for a nutty flavor. Enjoy!
For the best results, use medium or firm tofu.
Sriracha makes a great substitute for sweet chili sauce. Since it’s a bit spicier, I recommend using just 1 tablespoon instead of 2.
The tofu is best prepared just before serving.
These Sweet & Sour Tofu Bowls are easy, filling, packed with flavor, and high in protein. It’s so good I had these three times last week!
🥗 More Vegan and Healthy bowls
- Enchilada Power Bowls with Spicy Tofu
- Easy Jackfruit “Chicken” Quinoa Bowls
- Sesame Crusted Hoisin Tofu Bowls
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Green Curry Hummus
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 cups cooked rice (or your favorite grains)
- greens, avocado, cucumber
- If you use sweet potatoes, prepare them before the tofu. I also recommend cooking the rice, noodles, or your favorite grain before cooking the tofu.
- Heat the 3 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. In the meantime, add the cornstarch to a deep plate and toss the tofu cubes with the cornstarch. Slightly shake to remove excess cornstarch.
- Transfer the coated tofu to the skillet and fry on each side for 4-5 minutes or until slightly golden brown and crispy. Once the tofu cubes are golden on each side, transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper to remove excess oil.
- Clean your skillet with a kitchen paper towel to remove the remaining oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, coconut sugar, and soy sauce. Add the tofu back to the skillet, pour in the sauce, and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly to coat the tofu with the sauce. Once the tofu is coated and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices on the baking sheet and brush with oil on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and chili and roast for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
Green Curry Hummus
- Combine the hummus, green curry paste, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Keep the toasted sesame oil to use as a topping later.
- Prepare two deep plates or bowls. Add a generous dollop (about 1/4 cup) of hummus on the side of the bowl and drizzle with toasted sesame oil. Add the cooked rice, roasted sweet potato slices, sweet and sour tofu, and top with cucumber, a few slices of avocado, fresh mint, and your favorite greens. Enjoy immediately!