This was meant to be a smoothie recipe but in the end I went with shots!
These naturally-sweetened green shots are antioxidant-rich, packed with superfoods, and sooo delicious!
You obviously don’t have to serve it in glass vials! It can be served in glasses just like a regular smoothie, or in shots. Just be aware it’s a bit richer than your regular smoothie due to the addition of coconut milk and almond butter. BUT it’s packed with whole and healthy ingredients!
What does it contain?
- Spinach: We will never repeat it enough, eat your greens! Spinach makes the base of these green shots, it is high in iron, magnesium, and is supposed to lower blood pressure.
- Ginger: It has been used for centuries in Asian cuisine for its medicinal properties. Despite its fresh, slightly lemony flavor, it is also anti-inflammatory.
- Fresh Turmeric: Seeing how trendy is golden milk, there is no need to confirm turmeric is good for you. It has like a hundred benefits like helping with digestion. It’s benefits are increased when combined with a pinch of ground black pepper.
- Almond Butter: Packed with protein and healthy fats, almonds may also help reduce cholesterol.
- Ground Flax seeds: Did you know flax seeds are one of the most nutrient-dense food in the world? It is rich in fiber so they are easily digestible. Flax seeds are also supposed to promote weight loss…not sure about this one so you might have to do more research about it.
- Yogurt: Packed with probiotics, yogurts (when not made from cow milk) are good for you. Probiotics improve digestion and the immune system. If you don’t have vegan yogurt on hand, you can replace it with 1 capsule vegan probiotics.
- Coconut Oil: This one is optional but it helps boost the healing effects of fresh turmeric.
- Maca: A natural energy booster!
- Coconut Milk: In addition of being loaded with healthy fats, it adds creaminess to this green juice. Oh, and it tastes great! If using full-fat coconut milk, omit the coconut oil.
- Mint: I usually take a drop or two of mint essential oil every day for better digestion. Mint can ease gas and help treat IBS. You can use fresh mint leaves, or essential oil (sparingly).
- Banana: Carbs-rich, bananas are the natural sweetener in this recipe. I went with bananas because it’s all I had on hand, but you can use mango, peaches, pineapple, orange juice, or even dates.
- Optional: B12 vitamin, basil essential oil, protein powder, it’s up to you. Feel free to add you favorite superfoods, remember this is an healing elixir!
The recipe, if I can call it a recipe, can’t be easier. You add all the ingredients to a blender and…blend until smooth and creamy. That’s it!
I went with coconut milk to make this juice super creamy but you can use almond or soy milk if you want a lighter option. I usually make it with half full-fat coconut milk, half almond milk.
If you are looking for a natural energy boost, better digestion, or simply a refreshing drink, you will love this recipe. It’s versatile and can be tweaked to your liking by using mango, pineapple, or even peaches in place of the bananas.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Wellness Green Elixir Shots
Antioxidant-rich green juice loaded with superfoods like spinach, almond butter, turmeric and coconut milk. Not too sweet, refreshing and healing!
- Yield: 6 Small Glasses 1x
- 1 ripe banana, cut into slices
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2–3 mint leaves (to taste)
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2-inch fresh turmeric, skin removed
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or almond, cashew or soy milk)
- optional: 1 tbsp protein powder, 1 capsule B12, 2 drops basil essential oil, 1/2 tsp spirulina
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Taste and add a little bit of maple syrup or more banana if it’s not sweet enough for you. Adjust consistency if needed, adding more banana to make it thicker, or milk/water to thin.
- Divide into regular or shot glasses, and serve immediately. It’s best enjoyed immediately but can be kept covered in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Nutrition information is calculated with full-fat coconut milk and coconut oil.
I like to use half coconut milk and half almond milk.
For a thicker juice, use frozen banana slices.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Fat: 14.9g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.9g