With such hot weather, I’m craving something refreshing and sweet. And if it’s also healthy, I’m all in.
This nutrient-rich iced tea requires just 4 ingredients and a few minutes to prepare. It combines the benefits of watermelon with those of green tea. And the best thing about watermelon is that due to its high water content, there is no need to strain the juice. Just blend and serve!
Watermelon is not only low in calories, but also contains a good amount of vitamin C and potassium, while green tea is loaded with antioxidants.
You start by preparing the green tea, which is pretty basic. Bring some water to a boil and then let steep green tea for a few minutes. My favorite is jasmine tea, but any type will do. Just be careful not to let it steep for too long or your tea will turn bitter.
Once your tea is ready, let it cool completely.
Next, transfer the green tea to a blender, add fresh watermelon, a squeeze of lime juice, and a tablespoon of maple syrup if you want it sweeter. A pinch of salt also helps bring out the sweetness of the watermelon.
Blend for a few seconds and it’s ready to serve!
I like to serve this watermelon tea with a lot of ice for a super refreshing drink. If you are looking for more healthy drinks, check out this Iced Vanilla Matcha with Red Beans or this Peach, Orange, and Lemongrass Iced Tea!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 2 tsp green loose tea
- 1 cup (235ml) water
- 2 cups (about 350g) diced watermelon
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Add the water to a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once boiling remove from heat. Add the green tea to a tea strainer. Place the strainer in the water and let it steep for about 3 minutes. Remove the strainer and let the water cool down completely. I usually prepare the tea a few hours before and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Place the diced watermelon, lime juice, maple syrup, and salt in a high-speed blender. Add the chilled green tea and blend on high speed for 5-10 seconds, or until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Fill two glasses with ice and pour the watermelon tea into each glass. Serve immediately!
This drink is best served immediately, I do not recommend storing it as the flavors would be altered.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 79
- Sugar: 16.7g
- Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 19.9g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 1g