- 2 cups raw cashews
- 4 capsules vegan probiotics (Acidophilus)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- canola oil
- Soak the cashews in filtered water overnight.
- Drain the cashews, rinse them and place in the bowl of your food processor.
- Open the probiotic capsules and add the powder to the bowl.
- Add 3 tbsp of water, salt and process for about 3-5 minutes, scraping down the sides from time to time,
- The mixture should be smooth but really thick. If needed, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until smooth. Do not add too much water, you want to use as least as possible or you won’t be able to form balls later.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean container, cover and let sit at room temperature for about one day to let it ferment.
- After one day, taste it to see if it’s sharp enough for your taste and place in the fridge for another day. This step will make the cheese mixture firmer.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a large plate.
- Prepare the cheese balls by taking about 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture with slightly wet hands, form balls. The cheese mixture will be softer at room temperature, I recommend you put it back in the fridge if it becomes too soft to make balls.
- Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs, tapping off excess breadcrumbs. Place the cheese balls on a plate.
- Heat about 3 inches of oil to 350°F in a deep pot. Set a large plate topped with some paper towels on the side.
- Using a spoon, lower a few cheese balls into the oil. Work in small batches (3-4 at a time).
- Remove from oil after about 1 minute, or until golden brown. Place the balls on the paper towels to drain. Repeat with the remaining cheese balls.
- Serve warm with salad, rice, quinoa, etc.
Since these cheese balls are fried, nutritional information is just an estimate and can be inaccurate.
The longer you let the cheese mixture in the fridge, the sharper and stronger the taste.
You can keep the cheese mixture in your fridge for easily one week, it will firm up a little bit more and it will be even easier to make balls.
- Serving Size: 1 Cheese Ball
- Calories: 254
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Fat: 21.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Protein: 4.9g