Cultured Cashew Milk
- 1/2 cup (75g) raw cashews
- 2/3 cup (160g) water
- 1/2 capsule (about 1/8 tsp) acidophilus (or a pinch of mesophilic culture)
- Place the raw cashews in a bowl. Cover and let soak overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Drain the cashews and put them back in the bowl. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, pour the water over the cashews. This step will kill possible bacterias. Drain the cashews.
- Add them to a blender with the 2/3 cup water and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the sides from time to time until everything is smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl or container and stir in the acidophilus powder. Cover with a clean towel and let sit at room temperature for at least 24 hours. The cashew cream should have a light sour taste, and you should see some air bubbles.
- Melt the coconut oil over low-medium heat. Measure 1 and 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil and put it in a blender. Add the cultured cashew cream, neutral oil, sunflower lecithin, salt, and carrot juice. Blend on high speed about 1 minute.
- Line a 6×4-inch container with parchment paper. Transfer the mixture to the container and place in the freezer at least 1 hour, or until firm. Once firm, transfer to the refrigerator. It will become softer after a few hours.
- This vegan butter will keep for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Since this butter contains live cultures it might get stronger in taste/smell as time passes. If the smell is too strong, trash it. It will keep in the freezer for up to two months.
If using mesophilic instead of acidophilus, just use a tip of a fork, or a pinch. If there are too many bacterias the cashew milk will turn bad.
To make flavored butter: follow the recipe as stated. Once firm, let the butter on the counter for 1-2 hours, or until soft. Stir in your add-ins (herbs, garlic, or raisins, cinnamon, or chocolate for a sweet version), and transfer to a container. Place in the refrigerator until firm again.
Nutritional information is an estimate.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 96
- Sugar: 0
- Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 0.5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.3g