- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chao* (fermented tofu/beancurd)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch
- 3 tbsp potato starch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dairy-free yogurt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp anatto oil (optional, for color)
- 4 drops liquid smoke (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap, or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a blender. Blend on high-speed for 15-20 seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens. Continue cooking for another 15 seconds.
- Immediately transfer to the lined baking sheet and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread it into a thin and even layer. I recommend covering with another layer of plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to flatten evenly.
- Let it cool a few minutes before transferring to the refrigerator. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into thin square slices.
- Use in sandwiches, burgers, on top of pizza, etc! Vegan cheese slices will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Avoid stacking the slices as they could stick together. You can stack them if you put a sheet of parchment paper between each.
*I recommend using the chili chao for extra flavor and a more orange color. Don’t worry, it won’t make the cheese slices spicy.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 1.2g