- 3 tbsp (45ml) oil
- 2 fresh shiitakes (or use rehydrated), finely diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 small chili, sliced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp (45ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or use 1 tbsp fresh green peppercorn)
- 1/2 tsp rice flour diluted in 2 tbsp (30ml) water
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced shiitakes, green onions, and chili. Sautée for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the soy sauce, pineapple juice, water, coconut sugar, and black pepper. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Dilute the rice flour in two tablespoons of water and add it to the saucepan. Whisk to combine and cook for one more minute, or until it has slightly thickened.
- Use as a dipping sauce for steamed veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, okra, carrots, etc.
- The sauce will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature or warmed.
If using fresh green peppercorn, slightly mash them before adding to the sauce.
You can adjust the thickness of the sauce to you liking by adding a bit more pineapple juice if you want it thinner.
Recipe adapted from Ca Men Go.
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 0.4g