This recipe is a twist on “Kho Quẹt”, which is a Vietnamese dipping sauce usually made of fish sauce and shrimps.
This vegan-version is exactly what you need when you want to give a kick to steamed veggies. While it’s called “Fish Sauce”, this one doesn’t have a stinky or fish flavor but is made in a similar way the traditional one is made. It is sweet, salty, and spicy!
It starts with the shiitakes that are sautéed with green onions and chili for a few minutes. Shiitakes take place of shrimps and add umami to the sauce.
Next, we have pineapple juice that brings sweetness, soy sauce, and some pepper. You can use ground black pepper, or fresh green peppercorn if you can get your hands on it.
Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes to let the flavors merge. Next, pour in half a teaspoon of rice flour to thicken and it’s ready to serve!
This sauce is quite spicy, so if you are not used to that level of spiciness, I recommend using only half of a chili.
If you are looking for a flavorful dipping sauce that is spicy + sweet + salty, you don’t want to miss this one! It takes steamed or roasted veggies to the next level! Plus it is thick enough to coat anything you put in it.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Vegan Caramelized "Fish Sauce" (Kho Quẹt)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 fresh shiitakes or use rehydrated, finely diced
- 1 green onion chopped
- 1 small chili sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper or use 1 tbsp fresh green peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp rice flour diluted in 2 tbsp water
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced shiitakes, green onions, and chili. Sautée for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the soy sauce, pineapple juice, water, coconut sugar, and black pepper. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Dilute the rice flour in two tablespoons of water and add it to the saucepan. Whisk to combine and cook for one more minute, or until it has slightly thickened.
- Use as a dipping sauce for steamed veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, okra, carrots, etc.
- The sauce will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature or warmed.