If you thought sticky rice was bland, think again!
These chewy sticky rice sticks are glazed with a sweet and salty teriyaki sauce. It’s portable, chewy, sticky, and has the perfect balance of sweet and salty!
These kebabs are delicious on their own, served as an appetizer, or can also be served with sautéed kale, spinach, and tofu on the side for a full meal. I am still not sure if “kebab” is the correct word for something served on a skewer, so let me know your thoughts! Alright, let’s do this!
It starts with the sticky rice that is steamed in the Instant Pot for about 15 minutes. I tried several methods to cook sticky rice and I find the Instant Pot to be the fastest and easiest way. If you do not own an Instant Pot, you can still cook the rice in a steamer or rice cooker, feel free to check out the methods online as I’m not very familiar with these.
Back to the Instant Pot, it’s as easy as filling a bowl with the rice and water, and placing it on the rack. Then pressure cook for 14 minutes and let the pressure release naturally. That’s it, you will end up with a perfectly cooked sticky rice!
The next step is shaping the sticky rice into small rolls. Once the rice is no longer hot, wrap about 1/3 cup of rice in plastic film and roll it into a cylinder as shown above.
You want to let the rolls rest in the refrigerator for at least two hours, this step will allow the rolls to firm up slightly so they keep their shape when sautéed.
Finally, stir-fry the skewers in a non-stick skillet (important, do not use an iron skillet, they would stick to it) and cook until slightly golden. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir. The sauce will thicken and coat the sticky rice, giving them a bright orange color and a delicious flavor that is sweet and salty!
I hope you will love these sticky rice skewers! These would make a delicious introduction to anyone who has never tried sticky rice. Oh, and a drizzle of vegan mayo and chopped spring onions make these skewers even better!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 3/4 cup (150g) white sticky rice
- 3/4 cup (177ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5ml) lime juice (or rice vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot liner and place the steam rack in the liner.
- Rinse the sticky rice. In a glass bowl that can fit in the liner, combine the sticky rice with the 3/4 cup of water. Place the bowl on the steam rack. Close the lid and set the valve on the “Sealed” position.
- Pressure cook for 14 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the teriyaki sauce.
- After 14 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 10-12 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to “Venting” position.
- Remove the sticky rice from the Instant Pot and let it cool for at least 25 minutes.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap on a working surface or cutting board. Measure about 1/3 cup of the sticky rice and place it in the center of the plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic film around the sticky rice and shape it into a thick cylinder. Wrap it tightly. Repeat with the remaining rice to make about 6 cylinders.
- Place them on a plate and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, this will allow the rice to firm up slightly and hold together better.
- Next, using wet hands (to prevent from sticking) unwrap the sticky rice kebabs and place them on a plate lined with plastic film. Thread kebabs on skewers.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick skillet. Once hot, add the skewers and cook for about 5 minutes, turning from time to time until slightly golden. Pour in the teriyaki sauce and stir to coat each skewer. Cook for 1 minute or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve immediately drizzled with vegan mayo and spring onions! These kababs are best served the same day but will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Serving Size: 1 Skewer
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Protein: 2g