You are just one pot and less than 30 minutes away from this spicy bowl of deliciousness!
It’s creamy, spicy, garlicky, and so comforting! Plus it requires just 8 ingredients. Ready?
This recipe is pretty straightforward, you sautée some shallots, garlic, and ginger in a pot. Once hot, you add the yellow mung beans and some water. Make sure to use peeled split yellow mung beans as these cook faster than the whole ones. If you don’t have access to split yellow mung beans, red lentils are a good substitute.
Next we add sriracha that adds spiciness and makes this soup even more garlicky. To balance with the spiciness, I added a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup.
Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the mung beans are soft and have “melted” into the soup. Finally, to add umami and a subtle sweetness, stir in some white miso.
Drizzle with lime juice (that’s mandatory), chopped green onions, and enjoy! Filling, protein-packed, flavorful, and easy to make. What else could we ask for?
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated
- 1 cup split yellow mung bean
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sriracha
- 2 tbsp 30ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sweet white miso
- for topping: lime juice, green onions or basil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Once hot, add the shallots, garlic, and ginger, and sautée for 2-5 minutes, or until shallots are soft.
- Rinse the mung beans under cold water and drain. Add the mung beans, water, sriracha, and maple syrup to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until the mung beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the white miso. Serve with a drizzle of lime juice and chopped green onions! The soup will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste by adding some smoked paprika for a smoky flavor for example!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 334
- Sugar: 11.9g
- Fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrates: 55.9g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 13g