- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 2 lemongrass stalks, halved
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 3 small chilis, sliced
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely diced
- 4 cups (1L) of water
- 1/2 ear of corn, sliced into 2-inch slices
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) soy sauce
- optional: 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 5 ounces (around 150g) of noodles of your choice
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 block of tofu, diced
- a handful of your favorite greens (spinach, pak choy, okra, etc)
- optional: vegan chick’n or TVP slices
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add lemongrass stalks, ginger, green onion, and chilis. Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and pineapple, and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the tomatoes have released their juice.
- Pour the 4 cups of water into the pot. Add the corn, coconut sugar, salt, and soy sauce. Let simmer for about 20 minutes. If using, dilute the tamarind paste in a couple tablespoons of warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Strain and add to the broth.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles, wash and prepare the vegetables, and dice the tofu and/or vegan chick’n.
- Place the pot on a portable burner on the table and let it simmer. Place the vegetables, noodles, and tofu around it and enjoy! Each guess can cook the veggies of their choice for a few minutes in the pot. Fill your bowl with noodles, top with tofu, veggies, and pour hot broth over it.
If serving more than 3 people or if you want leftovers, feel free to double the recipe.