Introducing Spiced Pecan Hot Chocolate! With a deep pecan flavor, hints of spices, and a subtle saltiness, this hot chocolate is basically coziness in a mug!
Pecans are one of my favorite nuts to snack on, and hot chocolate is one of my favorite drinks. So when roasted and lightly spiced pecans are combined with creamy hot chocolate, delicious things are happening!
First, we start by roasting the pecans with a drizzle of maple syrup and a pinch of spices. I went with cinnamon and anise, but you could easily add some cloves, ginger, or nutmeg for a “pumpkin spice” flavor.
Once our pecans are perfectly roasted, blend with almond milk, unsweetened cacao powder, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and a good pinch of salt to bring out the flavors.
Since pecans have natural fats, there is no need to add any coconut milk to make this hot chocolate super creamy. However, if your blender is not powerful enough, I recommend straining the pecan chocolate milk to remove some of the pecan pulp.
Finally, heat over medium heat until piping hot, and serve immediately! Top with extra almond milk or sweetened condensed milk and/or crushed roasted pecans.
This spiced pecan hot chocolate is one of my favorites! It has a rich roasted pecan flavor and subtle hints of cinnamon and vanilla, giving it Fall vibes! So rich, creamy, and delicious, this hot chocolate is the perfect morning or mid-afternoon snack!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the raw pecans, maple syrup, cinnamon, and anise if using. Stir to coat the pecans. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and roast for about 10 mins. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted pecans, almond milk, cacao powder, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and salt to a blender. Blend on high speed until very smooth, about 1 minute. If your blender is not powerful, strain through a fine sieve.
- Pour into a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until it almost boils. Divide into 3 mugs, top with a dollop of vegan yogurt or coconut cream for decoration (optional), and serve immediately!
- Pecan hot chocolate will keep for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Reheat over medium heat.