- 2 blocks (250g) fried tofu
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 lemongrass stalk, minced
- 1 tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) water mixed with 1/2 tsp rice flour
- For serving: rice, cilantro, pak choy, pickled veggies
- Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion, garlic, and lemongrass. Sautée for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is slightly golden.
- Add the diced tofu and sautée for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan.
- Pour in the soy sauce, maple syrup, and coconut sugar. Stir well to coat the tofu.
- In a small bowl, combine the water with the rice flour. Pour the mixture into the pan and stir. Cook for one more minute, or until the sauce has thickened and the tofu is coated.
- Serve on top of rice with sautéed pak choy and pickled veggies.
- Caramelized tofu is best eaten the same day but will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 1 (without rice)