I recently realized I didn’t have a single recipe for hot chocolate here. How is that even possible?
Time to fix that with this extra creamy, thick, and buttery chai hot chocolate! The perfect drink to enjoy under a warm blanket this winter!
We start by simmering whole spices like ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom pods in almond milk. I chose to go with whole spices for a fresher and stronger flavor. You want to let the almond milk simmer for at least 5 minutes so it is infused with the spices.
To sweeten, we use coconut sugar that also adds a subtle caramel flavor. Maple syrup will work great if you don’t have coconut sugar on hand.
Next, we have cacao powder and salt. Salt takes this hot chocolate to the new level, making it kind of addicting, so don’t leave it out!
Finally, we stir in cashew butter to bring creaminess as well as a delicate nuttiness that works incredibly well with the chocolate and the chai spices. A dash of vanilla for extra flavor and we are good to go!
This easy to make hot chocolate is super creamy, not too sweet, and makes the perfect sweet treat to have on a cozy afternoon!
Not feeling like having chocolate? Leave it out for a delicious (caffeine-free) Salted Chai Cashew Butter Latte!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 2 cups (480ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp (24g) coconut sugar
- 1 cinnamon bark
- 1/2-inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 6 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 2 tbsp (14g) cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp (48g) roasted cashew butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Add the almond milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon bark, ginger, and cardamom to a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Next, using a slotted spoon, remove the whole spices and discard.
- Add the cacao powder and salt to the saucepan and heat for another 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly to dissolve the cacao powder. Lower the heat to low-medium and stir the cashew butter and vanilla extract. Heat for another 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- At this point, if you want a nice foam, transfer to a blender and blend for about 10 seconds.
- Divide into two mugs, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve hot!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 18.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 9.2g