Now that we know how to make Buffalo Sauce, let's use it!
As summer is around the corner, or at least that's what I like to think, it's time to bring back the salads! If you like your salads on the healthy side but with a ton of flavor, you are going to love this one. It is packed with healthy greens and served with a spicy and smoky eggplant buffalo dip!
It is filling enough to have as a whole meal, but feels super light and refreshing!
I used eggplant as the base for the dip instead of hummus to make it lighter and easier to digest as I found I'm having trouble digesting chickpeas. The result is a creamy, smoky, and spicy dip that adds a ton of flavor and more texture to the salad.
You start by roasting the eggplants in the oven for about 30 minutes. Next, eggplants are processed into a smooth dip with buffalo sauce, tahini, lime juice, cumin, and smoked paprika.
Then you have the green salad that is very light and fresh. Lettuce and baby spinach are combined with basil and mint for extra flavor, quinoa that adds a chewy texture, cucumber for freshness, and avocado for creaminess.
Feel free to customize this salad with what you have on hands. Kale or arugula instead of lettuce, rice instead of quinoa, this salad is versatile!
For the dressing, I went with a simple mix of olive oil + lime juice + maple syrup + minced shallots.
Before serving, make sure to top the salad with roasted cashews and fried shallots for more crunchiness!
This salad is not only super refreshing, but it is also filling and nutritious. The buffalo dip brings spiciness as well as creaminess so do not omit it!
I hope you will all love this salad! If you are looking for more salad recipes, feel free to check out this Basil & Mint Cauliflower Couscous Salad, Easy Vietnamese Papaya Salad, or this Creamy Cucumber Salad with Miso Tempeh!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Quinoa Green Salad with Buffalo Eggplant Dip
Buffalo Eggplant Dip
- 2 cups lettuce roughly chopped
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh mint finely sliced
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 small avocado diced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoon fried shallots
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 shallot minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
Buffalo Eggplant Dip
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise and prick them a few times with a knife. Brush the cut side with olive oil. Place the eggplants cut side down on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, or until very soft.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Once no longer hot, scoop out the eggplant flesh and discard the skin.
- Transfer the eggplant flesh to a food processor. Add the buffalo sauce, tahini, lime juice, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt. Process for 20-30 seconds or until it smooth, it should have the consistency of hummus. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. You can now transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic film and refrigerate. The eggplant buffalo dip will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, baby spinach, fresh basil, mint, quinoa, avocado, and cucumber.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, maple syrup, minced shallot, and salt. Pour the dressing into the salad bowl and mix to coat.
- To serve, spoon about ⅓ cup of the buffalo eggplant dip in a plate. Add the green salad and top with roasted cashews and crispy fried shallots. Serve immediately!