Looking for cookies that smell like Christmas?
These super tender and chewy cookies are loaded with Christmas flavors! Think orange, cranberries, cinnamon, cardamom, and chocolate combined in a single cookie. Plus they are gluten-free and naturally sweetened!
To keep this recipe gluten-free I went with a mix of rolled oats, oat flour, almond flour, and coconut flour. Then to sweeten the cookies we have maple syrup that adds a subtle caramel flavor and applesauce that also adds moisture.
Next, we add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil for more richness and some vanilla extract for extra flavor.
Now let’s talk about the add-ins that take the cookies to the next level, seriously. First, we have cranberries that bring chewiness and a subtle tartness. Then come the orange peel and dark chocolate chunks, because nothing screams Christmas more than chocolate and orange to me.
Finally, the spices: cinnamon and cardamom that balances with the tartness of the cranberries. If you have some ground anise on hand, feel free to add 1/4 tsp as well!
These cookies won’t spread in the oven so you have to form balls and then flatten them into a cookie shape.
These cookies are super soft, chewy but not cakey, and so flavorful! Plus they are loaded with texture with chewy cranberries and crunchy dark chocolate chunks!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (50g) oat flour
- 1/2 cup (48g) almond flour
- 1/3 cup (33g) shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp (12g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45ml) applesauce
- 2 tbsp (30ml) coconut oil, soft or just melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (30g) dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp (30g) dark chocolate chunks
- 1 tbsp finely chopped orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the rolled oats, oat flour, almond flour, shredded coconut, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Add the maple syrup, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir until fully combined. It should form a soft and sticky paste.
- Add the dried cranberries, dark chocolate chunks, orange peel, and mix again until the add-ins are incorporated.
- Form 2 tablespoon size balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Using your hand, flatten each ball into a cookie shape. The cookies won’t spread so make sure to give them the final shape.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool for at least 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Cookies are best eaten the same day but will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie