— This recipe is part of the Harry Potter Inspired Recipes Week —
When it comes to cooking, Mrs. Weasley is pretty traditional, no weird ingredients or cooking methods, she prefers sticking to the basics. With such a big family, stews are often on the menu because it’s low-maintenance, inexpensive, filling, and makes enough to nourish the whole tribe. Her drunken lentil and mushroom stew is a favorite among the family, it is comforting, healthy, and filling. Everything you need before a flying car ride!
Mrs. Weasley is known for her good heart, so it’s not a surprise she was happy to share her not-so-secret-anymore recipe. While she recommends using fresh vegetables from your back garden, veggies from the market will do in a pinch.
As with most stews, this recipe requires minimal preparation. Shallots and garlic are first sautéed until golden brown to release their natural sweetness. Then, we have mushrooms that add some meatiness as well as umami.
The secret ingredient of Mrs. Weasley’s stew is beer. She deglazes the mushrooms with a golden ale beer (although any beer will work) to add richness and a delicate flavor.
Next, all you have to do is add the rest of the ingredients. Green lentils, carrots, and potatoes, and let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Top with fresh parsley and serve this stew with buttermilk biscuits or a slice of rustic bread for a hearty meal! The perfect meal before a flying car ride!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Mrs Weasley's Lentil & Mushroom Stew
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 and 1/2 cup mushrooms diced
- 1 cup beer (use dark beer for a stronger flavor)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry green lentils
- 1 large carrot peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 large white potato peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup green peas
- For serving: fresh parsley, biscuits or bread
- Heat the oil in a large cast iron cocotte (or saucepan). Once hot, add the shallots and garlic, and sautée for about 5 minutes, or until shallots are golden brown.
- Add the diced mushrooms and sautée for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Deglaze with the beer and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the water, salt, maple syrup, thyme, black pepper, green lentils, carrot, potato, and green peas.
- Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are tender. Top with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve with buttermilk biscuits or bread on the side.
- Lentil stew will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat gently over medium heat.