I realized there is not a single brownie recipe posted here, the thing is I love brownies! It may be hot outside, I'm still craving brownies, I'm a chocolate addict.
Regular brownies are boring, so I thought why not add a fresh touch to that would go well with chocolate? Here comes the mint. I have always been a fan of mint thins. Chocolate and mint is probably my favorite combination. Well, peanut butter and chocolate is not bad either, but in the summer I prefer something with a fresh flavor.
These brownies are super rich in chocolate, moist on the inside and covered with a mint glaze. These are DEFINITELY a crowd pleaser.
The batter is really easy to prepare, you just need one bowl and 5 minutes. I used all-purpose flour but I'm sure gluten-free flour would work well too, let me know how it turns out if you try!
I added some expresso powder to the batter to highlight the chocolate flavor, but feel free to omit it if your prefer. You can substitute it with instant coffee if you don't have expresso powder on hand.
The glaze is made of icing sugar, almond milk, peppermint extract and matcha tea. If you are not familiar with it, matcha tea is a green tea that has been grounded into a fine powder, it has a vibrant green color. I only used it here to bring a nice green color to the glaze, the whole mint flavor is coming from the peppermint extract.
Got some fresh mint? For a flavor kick, finely chop 5 mint leaves and add them to the batter!
I served these brownies cold, with a thick and creamy vanilla sauce for dessert. You can eat them at room temperature like regular brownies but we prefer them straight from the fridge, the mint flavor is more intense and the brownies are a little bit firmer.
Let me know if you try this recipe!
Mint Chocolate Brownies
The rich chocolate flavor of this vegan brownie is balanced with a fresh mint glaze. Add chocolate chips for a more decadent dessert!
- Yield: 8 Squares 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp expresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 and ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 and ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and ½ cup vegan icing sugar
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 and ½ teaspoon matcha tea powder
- 2 drops natural peppermint oil
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Stir together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Slowly pour the almond milk and whisk until no clumps remain.
- Add the vegetable oil and whisk until it's smooth.
- Pour the batter into a greased 13-by-9 inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
For the Glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
- Spread the glaze over top of cake.
- Let sit in the fridge about 2 hours before cutting into 8 pieces.
- You can serve it fresh or at room temperature. Delicious topped with fresh creme anglaise.