Do you have a go-to green sauce recipe in your cookbook? You should! It can turn a failed recipe into a flavorful one and can be used basically everywhere to make things 100X better.
This recipe just happened, I had no plan to make a sauce at first but since I had many herb leftovers in my fridge I had to do something with them. Something magical happened. Something healthy, flavorful and creamy.
Here comes this easy-to-make mint green sauce, it's made with a mix of three herbs: mint, parsley and dill. The combination of different fresh herbs results in a complex flavor, the bitterness of the parsley and the citrusy of the dill balance with the mint. And did you notice that vibrant green color? You know green means healthy and good for you, this sauce is full of antioxidants and packed with vitamins!
The base of this rich green sauce are cashews, which are responsible for the incredible creaminess, think heavy cream kind of texture. This recipe cannot be easier, it requires less than 10 ingredients and is ready in 10 minutes. You start by soaking the cashews overnight and then just blend them with fresh herbs and seasoning. That's all!
Don't have dill? Substitute for coriander, sage or basil, this recipe is so versatile!
Use this mint green sauce as a salad dressing, in enchiladas, burgers, or in lasagnas (spoiler alert!). Hot or cold, it's delicious! This sauce is also a great replacement for pesto, I personally like to use it in cold pasta salads to adds a nice touch of freshness. Do you have roasted vegetables leftovers? Try dipping them in this sauce!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe and tag @fullofplants on Instagram if you take a picture!
Mint Cashew Green Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup fresh mint packed
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley packed
- ⅓ cup fresh dill packed
- ½ cup water
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- juice from 1 lime or lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon sriracha
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the cashews in a large bowl and cover with fresh water. Soak overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- The next day, drain the cashews and rince them well under cold water.
- Combine the cashews and all the other ingredients in the bowl of a blender and blend for about 4-5 minutes until the sauce is very smooth and creamy. You can adjust the consistency by using more or less water.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. The sauce will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Feel free to add one teaspoon of maple syrup if you want to add a little bit of sweetness.
[…] 1 and ½ cup mint green sauce […]
[…] a sauce that is super versatile? Then check out this recipe from Thomas of Full of Plants. Using mint, cashews, parsley, shallots, garlic, and spices, this sauce is perfect for salads, […]