This is how you fix a popcorn + matcha craving, all-in-one.
If you are looking for a variant on the traditional salty popcorn, you should definitely try this one! It has a delicate matcha flavor with citrusy notes! Plus it takes just 10 minutes to make!
First, you want to pop the corn on the stove. To do so, heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large and deep saucepan.
Once the oil is hot, add a couple of popcorn kernels and wait until they pop. This will be our test to make sure the oil in hot enough. At this point you can add the rest of the kernels and wait 30-50 seconds before putting the pan back on the stove. It will pre-heat the kernels and prevent them from burning. Next, wait until it pops!
Now onto the flavorings! First, we start with a very simple syrup that will bring the sweetness. To allow the syrup to stick to the popcorn, and also add richness, we simmer the sugar with vegan butter and water.
Finally, once your popcorn is coated with the syrup, add sifted matcha powder and very finely cut lime zest. Stir to coat and serve!
This matcha and lime popcorn makes the perfect afternoon snack to enjoy while watching your favorite tv show or movie!
If you are looking for a different popcorn recipe, check out this Maple Cinnamon Popcorn!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Matcha Lime Popcorn
- Heat the oil in a large and deep pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add a couple of popcorn kernels to the pot and wait for them to pop.
- Once they have popped, add the rest of the popcorn kernels, stir to coat with oil and remove from heat. Wait 30-50 seconds and put the pot back on the stove.
- Cover with a lid and wait for the kernels to pop. Once it starts to pop, shake the pot a few times to make sure all the kernels cook evenly. Continue cooking until all the kernels have popped. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and vegan butter to a small saucepan. Feel free to add a pinch of salt as well. Heat over medium heat and let it boil for about 1 minute. Add the water, stir, and cook for another 20 seconds, or until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour over the popcorn while stirring at the same time to coat it evenly with the syrup. Sift the matcha powder over the popcorn and stir to coat. Add the lime zests and stir again.
- Serve immediately! This popcorn is best served the same day, but you can reheat it the next day in a 350°F (175°C) preheated oven for about 5 minutes.