- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp of each: garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika
- 2 and 1/2 cup water
- 1 15-oz can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinced
- 1/2 cup quinoa (I used black quinoa)
- 1 and 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cups chopped spinach (rinsed)
- 1 clove of garlic
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup slightly crushed roasted cashews
- fresh parsley, or coriander if you like it
- crushed red pepper
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic and grated ginger and cook on medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrot and red bell pepper, continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Add spices and salt and cover with the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Let simmer for about 35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. In the meantime you can start the quinoa.
- Remove from heat and process in a blender until silky smooth. Pour the sauce back into the skillet and stir in the chickpeas. Cover to keep warm.
- Combine the quinoa with the water and soy sauce in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and almost no liquid remains.
- Heat some olive oil in a skillet, add the garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook for 5-7 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the quinoa into 3 serving bowls, add spinach and masala chickpeas on top. Top with crushed cashews, red cabbage and fresh herbs.
You can substitute chickpeas for black or navy beans, or even lentils.
Red cabbage is optional, if using you can blanch it in boiling water for about 2 minutes to make it more tender.
Black quinoa can be sub for white quinoa or brown rice.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 9.6g
- Fat: 12.9g
- Carbohydrates: 50.5g
- Fiber: 10.6g
- Protein: 12.5g