Let's take this Caramel Flan to the tropics!
Creme caramel is still one of my favorite desserts and since summer is coming, it's a good time to make a mango version that is topped with fresh passion fruit, and shredded coconut!
We start by making the caramel. I'm sharing two versions: one that is refined sugar-free, made with coconut sugar and maple syrup, and another one with white sugar. Both yield a delicious caramel that coats the flan once flipped.
To make the caramel, heat the sugar over medium heat until it caramelizes. Next, pour a thin layer of caramel into the bottom of ramequins.
Now onto the flan that requires just 6 ingredients: mango, passion fruit, almond milk and coconut milk for creaminess, cornstarch for the texture, and agar to make it set. To add a citrusy flavor to the flan, I also added some lime zest.
Mango and milks are first blended until smooth, then combined with cornstarch and agar. To activate the agar, we bring everything to a boil before pouring into the ramekins, over the caramel.
Chill for a few hours in the refrigerator before enjoying with more passion fruit on top (mandatory!) and shredded coconut!
I hope you will enjoy this mango flan! It is fruity, a bit tart thanks to the addition of passion fruit, and so fresh! Plus the caramel on top goes very well with the mango and coconut.
If you are looking for more fruit desserts, check out these No-Bake Mini Key Lime Pies, Roasted Pears in Ginger Syrup, or these Mango & Coconut Tapioca Pearl Parfaits!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Mango & Passion Fruit Flan (Vegan + GF)
Caramel (see notes for another version)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups diced ripe mango fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup can omit if you don't want it too sweet
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 and ¾ teaspoon agar agar powder
- ¼ teaspoon lime zests finely grated, optional
- 2 tablespoon passion fruit juice strained from 1 passion fruit
- 3 passion fruits
- Shredded coconut granola, and/or coconut milk
- Start with the caramel. Add the maple syrup, coconut sugar, and white vinegar to a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring regularly until it starts to boil. Once boiling, let it boil for about 30 seconds, keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Immediately remove from heat and divide the caramel into 4 medium ramekins (or 6 smaller ones). Tilt each ramequin to spread the caramel into the bottom. Set aside and let it cool for at least 20 minutes. The caramel will harden.
- Place the diced mango, coconut milk, almond milk, and maple syrup in a blender and blend on high speed for a few seconds, or until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking. Transfer to a medium saucepan.
- Add the cornstarch, agar, and lime zest to the saucepan. Whisk to dissolve the cornstarch and agar.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in the passion fruit juice. Let cool 2-3 minutes before pouring into the ramequins, over the caramel.
- Let cool at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before transferring to the refrigerator. Chill at least 8 hours before eating.
- To serve, run a knife along the edges of each ramequin, cover with a plate and flip it. The caramel will be on top and cover the creme. Serve fresh, topped with the pulp from half a passion fruit, shredded coconut, and a drizzle of coconut milk!
- Flans will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Very, very good! Thank you, Thomas!
You're welcome Caroline 🙂
Hi! where I am I can only access agar agar strips. How much strips would I need to use to substitute for powder? Thanks
Amazing blog and amazing recipes! Ty for sharing your passion and delectable creations with us!! Stay blessed!
Thanks Meena! 🙂
This is really panna cotta not flan. Using gelatin is the difference between the two.
Thanks for your input Dustin.