I have always been a fan of the mango + coconut combination, so I thought it was time to share a simple dessert that combines both. Introducing Mango & Coconut Tapioca Pearl Parfaits!
These parfaits consist of a chewy coconut tapioca pearls pudding with a sweet and fresh mango purée. And it’s topped with crushed chocolate shortbread on top! If you like exotic desserts, you are going to love this one!
If you have never heard of tapioca pearls, it looks like small balls that are about the size of quinoa but made from tapioca flour. It can be found in Asian stores or online. Be aware that these are much smaller than the tapioca pearls used for bubble tea.
Tapioca pearls are first soaked in cold water for about 20 minutes. This helps to soften them. Then, we bring full-fat coconut milk, water, and maple syrup to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and immediately stir in the drained tapioca pearls. The pearls will cook, and the coconut milk will thicken, getting a pudding-like consistency with slightly chewy tapioca pearls!
Next, we have the mango purée, which simply consists of mango blended until smooth. I recommend using a ripe mango for this. Once you have a smooth mango purée, taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding some maple syrup if needed. I thought it was sweet enough for me, so I didn’t add extra sugar.
The final step is to layer the mango purée and coconut tapioca pudding in small jars and top with the optional chocolate shortbread. Refrigerate for a few hours and serve!
This dessert is perfect for summer. It’s super fresh, not too sweet, and has a chewy texture thanks to the addition of tapioca pearls. The combination of coconut and mango never disappoints!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Want to Save This Recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! Plus, you will receive new recipes every week!
I'd like to receive more tips & recipes from Full of Plants.
Chocolate Shortbread (Optional)
Chocolate Shortbread (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 °F (150°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the oat flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together.
- Add the almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and water, and mix until it forms a dough.
- Flatten the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to a 1/4-inch thickness. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for about 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. It will harden. Break it into small pieces and set aside.
- Soak the tapioca pearls in cold water for 20 min. Then drain the pearls and set them aside.
- Combine the coconut milk, water, and maple syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, and stir in tapioca pearls. Cover and let it cool completely. The tapioca pearls will grow in size, and the mixture will become thicker.
- In the meantime, prepare the mango purée. Peel and dice the mango into large cubes. Add the mango and lime juice to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- To make the parfaits, fill the bottom of 4 small jars with 2-3 tablespoons of the mango purée. Next, add 3-4 tablespoons of the tapioca pudding and repeat once to fill the jars. Cover with plastic film and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, top the parfaits with some chocolate shortbread pieces and serve!
About the Author
Thomas Pagot is the founder, photographer, and recipe developer behind Full of Plants. He created the blog in 2016 as a personal cookbook for vegan recipes. Through years of recipe development, Thomas has successfully grown Full of Plants into a trusted resource for plant-based recipes.