Friends, are you up for a simple, cozy, and flavorful Thai recipe?
This is honestly one of the BEST rice dishes I've ever had, and yet it's super easy! I first tried this combination of sticky rice with green curry at a Thai restaurant called Dok Boua a few months ago. It took me a few tries before perfecting the sauce, which is now one of my favorite green sauce. It's spicy, creamy, and flavored with basil, cilantro, mint, and lemongrass!
Not talented with chopsticks? This recipe is definitely for you! The sticky rice makes it 100X easier to take big portions of rice using chopsticks.
Sticky rice also called glutinous rice, or sweet rice is usually steamed instead of boiled like regular rice, making it fluffy and moist. I first tried soaking for one night and then steaming it using a colander placed on top of a pot with boiling water (as I don't have a bamboo steamer). The thing is, it took over 50 minutes to cook! If you have a bamboo steamer, the cooking time may be quicker, probably around 20 minutes.
To make things easier and quicker, I cooked the rice in my Instant Pot using the steam rack and a bowl with the rice and water placed on top. The result is perfectly cooked rice that is tender, fluffy, and moist. Did I mention it's ready in just 25 minutes?
Now onto the sauce, which is magical. Can we just call it the magical green sauce?
The base is full-fat coconut milk combined with fresh herbs like basil, cilantro, and mint. Then comes lime juice for freshness, green curry paste for spiciness, and finally lemongrass and ginger for a citrusy flavor. You simply blend everything together in a blender until smooth.
To serve, divide the sticky rice into serving plates and pour some warm magical green sauce on top. That's it!
If you want to make a more substantial meal, feel free to add some sautéed tofu, tempeh, or roasted vegetables on the side. In my opinion, there is not much to add here, except maybe a few leaves of basil or mint as this dish is already delicious on its own.
If you are into Thai food and like comforting, spicy (and carb-y) dishes, you are going to love this! The sticky rice has some chewiness and absorbs the incredibly flavorful green curry sauce.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Instant Pot Sticky Rice with Green Curry Sauce
- ¾ cup 150g white sticky rice
- ¾ cup 177ml water
Thai Green Curry Sauce
- 1 and ½ cup 375ml full-fat coconut milk (see notes)
- ½ cup 25g loosely packed fresh cilantro
- ½ cup 25g loosely packed fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon 5g loosely packed fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon 15ml lime juice
- 2 teaspoon 10ml maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon green curry paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ lemongrass stalk cut into 1-inch pieces
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot liner and place the steam rack in the liner.
- Rinse the sticky rice. In a glass bowl that can fit in the liner, combine the sticky rice with the ¾ cup of water. Place the bowl on the steam rack. Close the lid and set the valve on the "Sealed" position.
- Pressure cook for 14 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
- After 14 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 10-12 minutes. Release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to "Venting" position. You can keep the lid closed to keep the rice warm if you are not ready to serve it yet.
- To serve, place about ⅓ cup of rice on a plate and pour the warm green curry sauce on top (or on the side). Top with some basil and mint leaves and serve immediately. You can serve this as is, or with roasted vegetables on the side.
Thai Green Curry Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until very smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the sauce to a saucepan and heat until warm over medium heat.