This is what happens when you have last minute guests and no time to do the groceries.
Grab your Instant Pot, throw in pasta, seasonings, basil and hit start. In the meantime, roast some veggies, mix both together and dinner is served. It is so easy I even thought twice before releasing this recipe!
The result is perfectly cooked noodles that are garlicky, nutty, and aromatic thanks to the addition of fresh basil and toasted sesame oil.
You start with the roasted vegetables as they take a bit longer to cook than the pasta. Wash and cut your veggies and coat them with some olive oil, soy sauce, ground ginger, and chili for spiciness.
I went with sweet potato, broccoli, and bell pepper, feel free to use any vegetable leftovers you have in your fridge! Zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, or cauliflower would work well here.
While your veggies are roasting, you "prepare" the noodles. I'm quoting prepare because there really is not much to do. Combine your noodles with soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, chili oil, garlic, and water in the Instant Pot and hit Pressure Cook.
Then let it come to pressure and cook for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for another 3 minutes and you are done!
Finally, add the roasted veggies to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Serve topped with fresh basil, toasted sesame seeds, and if you want it spicier a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
This recipe makes the perfect last-minute dinner! It's also versatile as you can use any vegetable you have in your refrigerator.
If you like flavorful noodles that combine the nuttiness of toasted sesame oil with the freshness of basil, you will love this recipe. The addition of roasted vegetables makes the whole dish more nutritious and add texture as well as flavor.
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Instant Pot Sesame & Basil Noodles with Roasted Veggies
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground chili powder
- 8 ounces dry linguine pasta* broken in half
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 and ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon white rice vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon five-spice powder optional
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- for topping: sesame seeds, basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the diced bell pepper, sweet potato, and broccoli to a large mixing bowl. Pour in the olive oil, and soy sauce and add the ground ginger and chili powder. Mix using your hands to coat the vegetables with the oil and spices.
- Transfer the veggies to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until veggies are slightly browned. While the veggies are roasting, prepare the noodles.
- Add the noodles broken in half to the Instant Pot liner. Then add the water, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili oil, maple syrup, rice vinegar, minced garlic, five-spice powder if using, and fresh basil leaves.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on manual for 8 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 3 minutes before doing a quick release of the steam.
- Transfer the roasted veggies to the Instant Pot liner and mix until combined. Serve immediately topped with fresh basil and sesame seeds.