Oatmeal is a breakfast I have almost every day for breakfast, especially in the Winter because of its warming and stick to your ribs properties, so I though I would share a few variations of my favorite oatmeal.
Introducing this super creamy matcha latte oatmeal that takes just 10 minutes to prepare. And no, it is not butter on top, it’s vegan white chocolate!
HOW TO MAKE MATCHA OATMEAL
Preparing this oatmeal requires about 10 minutes, and is super easy. All you need is rolled oats, matcha powder, plant-based milk, and some sugar.
CULINARY OR CEREMONIAL MATCHA?
There are two types of matcha, culinary and ceremonial. The first one is a lower quality matcha used in desserts and baked goods, while the ceremonial one is primarily used in beverages. Culinary matcha is often much cheaper than the ceremonial one but doesn’t have the same sweetness, flavor, and vibrant green color.
Personally I recommend using ceremonial matcha if your budget allows it. Not only your oatmeal will have a better flavor, but so your matcha lattes. I tried many different types and brands of matcha, and I always found the ceremonial ones to have a very pleasant flavor with no bitterness or “grass” aftertaste.
A note on caffeine: The higher the quality of your matcha, the higher the caffeine content. If using ceremonial matcha, one serving of this oatmeal packs about 70mg of caffeine, which is the equivalent of about one cup of coffee. Perfect to have a productive morning!
WHICH PLANT-BASED MILK TO USE
After testing with different milk, I would recommend staying away from coconut or soy milk. These milks have a strong taste that tend to cover the matcha flavor. Go with a mild plant-based milk like almond, rice, or macadamia milk. I also tested with oat milk, and while the flavor was great, I found the texture of oatmeal to be a bit more slimy.
WHY COOK IN THE INSTANT POT?
Cooking rolled oats on the stove requires to stir regularly and keep an eye on it. By cooking in the Instant Pot, you combine all the ingredients in a bowl, place it on the steamer rack, close with the lid and let the Instant Pot do its work. No need to check or stir it regularly, you can prepare your morning tea or coffee in the meantime.
Another advantage is that you have less dishes to clean! Since we cook the oats directly into a bowl placed on the steamer basket, all you have to do is carefully remove the bowl of oats (it’s still hot) and add your toppings. The Instant Pot liner just requires a quick rinse.
While nut butters, fresh fruits, and dark chocolate are my favorite for regular oatmeal, I like to keep it simple for matcha oatmeal to not cover the delicate matcha flavor. The one topping that I love with matcha is white chocolate. Let a couple (or more) of squares of vegan white chocolate melt on top of your warm oats, stir to combine and enjoy! Cashew and macadamia butter are also great! What are your favorite oatmeal toppings?
If you like matcha, your will love this quick and super creamy oatmeal! It’s the perfect way to start your day, it’s healthy, delicious, and has all the benefits of matcha!
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe!
Instant Pot Matcha Oatmeal
- 1 tsp matcha
- 1 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or macadamia, cashew milk)
- For topping: vegan white chocolate, macadamia nuts, cashew cream or coconut cream
- Add the matcha powder and sugar to a medium size bowl. Add the hot water and dissolve the matcha using a matcha whisk, or small normal whisk, until fully dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract, rolled oats, and almond milk. Give it a quick stir to combine, it will be soupy, that's normal.
- Pour about 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot liner. Add the steamer basket and place your bowl of oats on the basket. Close with the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook on normal for 2 mins. The Instant Pot will take about 3-5 minutes before starting. Once the timer has ended, wait 5 more minutes before releasing the pressure manually.
- Open the lid and carefully remove the bowl of oats from the Instant Pot using an oven mitt or a towel. Give it a quick stir and top with your favorite toppings!